Memory Leak - Game stucks

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
topaz
Lux Newbie

Memory Leak - Game stucks

Post by topaz » Fri May 19, 2017 8:46 am

Hi,

In the latest versions there seems to be some kind of memory leak that causes the game's stack to get exhausted and it grinds to a halt. What happens is that after many rounds, the graphics animation starts to become slower and slower and slower and at the end, when I finish the round, it never gets out of the battle step. The only solution is to close the app (sometimes only possible via the Windows Task Manager) and restart from a save point.

This is really visible in the extreme maps, where the game dies after 5-6 rounds (I played Extreme Great Britain) - but it exists in all maps if you let it (I like to let the AI build up while I play defense and then actually start playing, so I get to a lot of rounds even in small maps).

This bug did not exist before the battle animations. Please consider fixing it, it is very very very (did I mention very?) very annoying - I need to save practically every round. In Extreme maps it's like, save, save, save, save, kill, start, load, save, save, save, kill, start, load, ... :facepalm

4 the :smt049 of :shield , please fix! :smt023

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Re: Memory Leak - Game stucks

Post by dustin » Fri May 19, 2017 6:03 pm

Hey Topaz,
Thanks for your report. I just updated Lux Alliance to version 1.73 today, and made it clear out memory more often. Try it out and let me know if it improves the situation for you...

nathanlo9
Lux Newbie

Post by nathanlo9 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:08 am

Version 1.73 still crashes. Mine crashed after about 10 turns on the Extreme Hex Lords map. I've only been able to complete about 2/3rds of my games since upgrading a couple of months ago. Does the game produce a log that we could provide to you?

topaz
Lux Newbie

Post by topaz » Sat May 20, 2017 5:36 pm

Wow, amazing response, thank you dustin!!! :trophy

The new version took longer to display the symptoms and die, but unfortunately it did :(

What happened was that it started getting slower (laggy) and eventually the last battle round never finished.
Then, I tried pressing the humburger button and a bit later, the end.

Here is a screenshot of it crashing and the debug message (unhandled exception during use callback): imgur DOT com /a/WJytB (forum doesn't let me post images of links)

I think the unhandled exception is a different problem from the main one. I realize these kinds of issues are a pain to pin down and debug, sorry for not being able to be more of help :(

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon May 22, 2017 2:43 pm

THe game does produce a log, it's the log.txt text file, inside the Support folder inside the install folder (assuming you're on Windows). Best to email it to lux@sillysoft.net (screenshots can be sent there too)

If you're on mac, you can use the menubar at the top of the screen, use the Online menu -> Report a Bug menu command to send me your log file directly.

topaz
Lux Newbie

Post by topaz » Mon May 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Mail sent, thank you!

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Tue May 23, 2017 8:32 pm

We just put out version 1.74, which includes better memory management. Try it out:
https://sillysoft.net/vox/download/

nathanlo9
Lux Newbie

Post by nathanlo9 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:29 am

Thanks Dustin. I successfully played one long game on version 1.74 without a crash or any other issue. Mucho better. No need to report a bug this time around and thanks for the tip on how to do that.

All the best

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Sun May 28, 2017 10:27 pm

this was the issue i was having too. and 1.74 so far allowed two full games with no crash. Great news!