Luxtoberfest (or lack thereof)

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Luxtoberfest (or lack thereof)

Post by dustin » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:48 pm

Hey Luxers,
There have been a few questions about why no Luxtoberfest this year. Well the truth is that I don't have the energy to organize tournaments for Lux at this time. Sorry.

I welcome mods or community members to organize tournaments or events if they have the energy for it. I'll do what I can to support.

I've made this thread as a space for laments or plans forward.

Hope you're doing well out there.

:smt109

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Re: Luxtoberfest (or lack thereof)

Post by PJB » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:50 pm

Hi Dustin

I did ask for support...

Darth Rellek
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Rellek » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:23 pm

:smt018 OH WTF

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:54 pm

What's up with that? :smt017
Will there even be a luxtoberfest this year? :globe
How about hosting another Castle's Tournament? :trophy
SnyperEye!!! I know you're out their lurking somewhere!!!
Castle BANE DEMANDS MORE GOLD SHINIES FOR OUR MEDAL CASE!!!! Oh yea & where is my PSP at there Mr.Precious?
Luxtopians everywhere Demand more fun tournaments!!! :torch: :llama :dp :smt096 :smt051 :pirate: :lincoln: :scooter :smt044 :smt030 :smt029 :smt024 :smt047 :smt077 :smt018 :llama :smt028 :lol: :roll: :smt013 :smt058 :mrgreen: :smt068 :smt065 :pop :yoda :deadhorse :beers :curtsey :party :gah :clap: :bang: :smt109 :smt110 :smt102 :smt101 :geek :twisted: :evil: :llama

12 out of 7 Llama's all agree that luxtopia needs much more

FUN!!!

Lurker
Lux Newbie

Post by Lurker » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:54 pm

Preemptive question, but we all know the answer:

Any events this year or no?

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:11 pm

Like last year, i do not believe Dustin will organise a tournament but i do hope so. Maybe a kill the King tournament?

I myself hosted a few luxtober tournaments in 2020 and 2021 with no succes. Only a few mods showed up, so i'm not sure if organising anything this year will be successful.

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:34 pm

Sad, but I assume Luxtoberfest is past. As much as I would wish back the good old times, we have to be realistic about was is left and what the status is nowerdows. Even if Dustin would host an Luxtoberfest I doubt there would be enough players around for a good successful tournament.
I am very sad about this as I would wish myself a great Luxtoberfest to take place.

But it's never to late to look forward. Maybe everybody who wants to play some tournaments could post here some constructive thoughts and show he his will to participate. Show presence and so improve the chance for some events.

If there would be really enough players willing to show up and play, we could arrange some events on our own (it does not have to be a Luxtoberfest, but maybe some single fun tournaments with fixed shedules). If enough players for FH games would sign up, I offer my help in organization and I am sure other mods (and maybe even Dustin) would also do.

Any thoughts are welcomed. So I encourage everbody not only to wish back the good old times, but also to show up and play in case there are any tournaments. Likely it won't be big events, they probably won't be as perfect as past events, but returning for some hours of good FH games is still fun IMHO. So don't only blame everything, lets take hold of the reins ourself!

h0b0
Luxer

Post by h0b0 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:56 pm

LuxKillz, http://luxkillz.sitegrep.com/ automatically aggregates results by Host and Month.

If we could get some hosts up, named by map and have them up for a couple of days at a time, it could be a way to keep count. We don't have to use the Trueskill rating, we could use number of wins or something, or I could export the results..

As an example:

Luxtoberfest 22 - Imperium Romanum Expletus (Running October 1 - 3)
Luxtoberfest 22 - Classic (Running October 1 - 15)
Luxtoberfest 22 - Cube Wars (Running October 16 - 17)
Luxtoberfest 22 - Castles (Running October 22 - 23)
Luxtoberfest 22 - Bio (Running October 29 -30)

Living in Oz in GMT+10 it's hard to find players for games, but it would be great to get a few tourneys going...

Just an idea..

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:09 pm

Hi H0b0,
thank you for the feedback. Good idea and valid point with the time zone.
Unfortunately I doubt without fixed times there would any good chance for a full house game.
The probability is much higher if you find a fixed time fitting well for everybody.

But I do not see much people really interested in playing a Luxtoberfest;-(

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:41 pm

My my my, what a limited imagination and absolutely no social skills at all? Really are all the mods so uncouth & unimaginative as this? H0b0 all but offers to help host luxtoberfest and all you can muster is darn, sure wish there were more players out there... . If only anyone had an EMAIL list of everyone who owns lux and could send out a luxtoverfest evite to everyone? Or at least the really awesome old skool luxers lurking in the mists of time or astral planes.

SnyperEye!!!! Where are you? Luxtopia needs you to host @ least 1 more Castle Tournament!!! If you do it quick enough we could get the teams together and BANE will dominate for another year!!!

Llama's Everywhere demand more luxtoberfest events this year!!! More shinnies!!! More Micella's!!!! More KlownZ!!!!! More Turtle Empress Mnemosyne sightings!!!! And where in all of luxtopia is the hug monsteress known as M@wnster?!?!?!?! :llama :llama

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:40 am

Nara, mods do not have access to the database due to reasons of data protection. We mods are not employees of sillysoft, but volunteers. We are not able to contact the Lux owners - only Sillysoft/Dustin could.

We mods offered our help, but within the forums beside h0b0 and you noone really gave feedback that he wants to play an Luxtoberfest.
If h0b0 wants to host himself any event he will get my full support. I really much appreciate all of h0b0s efforts.

BTW: When PJB hosted Luxtoberfest events past years I did not see you play there :llama .

Lurker
Lux Newbie

Post by Lurker » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:20 pm

It might be time for interested third parties to archive the forums and rankings database. There's no guarantee that this website and all contents won't suddenly disappear without warning. If (when) that happens, then it'll be too late to save our history.

RogueMonk
Lux Addict

Post by RogueMonk » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:20 pm

GFips wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:34 pm
could post here
If only.....any of my posts over the last couple years were never posted, as nobody could even bother to approve them.

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:35 am

RogueMonk wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:20 pm
If only.....any of my posts over the last couple years were never posted, as nobody could even bother to approve them.
All posts are read by Dustin and/or mods. Posts that are only intended to troll or to spam usually just do not get approved :llama
I am really happy to approve your posts and hope for some constructive contributing posts from you :roll:

RogueMonk
Lux Addict

Post by RogueMonk » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:34 pm

None were trolling....its been years since anything worth the energy.

Deep Blue
Lux Addict

Post by Deep Blue » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:17 pm

:panic:

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:17 pm

PJB wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:11 pm
Like last year, i do not believe Dustin will organise a tournament but i do hope so. Maybe a kill the King tournament?

I myself hosted a few luxtober tournaments in 2020 and 2021 with no succes. Only a few mods showed up, so i'm not sure if organising anything this year will be successful.
Maybe because you lost the respect of almost all the players...

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:59 pm

Yeah, that must be it.

Symbiosis
Lux Solicitor

Post by Symbiosis » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:06 pm

Happy to see a lot of familiar faces here, but sad to also see some pretty familiar conversations. I'd love to join you all for a game or a tournament some time! Nice Avatar dustin :D

Lurker
Lux Newbie

Post by Lurker » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:12 pm

Familiar faces? A lot? No, maybe several, or a few, but even that's being too generous.

Zero full house games this October. Not one or two. None.

(Five of the top ten seeds are bots; six, if you include Bod.)

Symbiosis
Lux Solicitor

Post by Symbiosis » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:01 am

I think it's kind of amazing people have any engagement at all considering the unambitious absentee owner. Lots of potential here. @dustin ever thought about selling? You can probably maintain a cut of equity, and likely end up making much more money than you currently are, without doing any more work.

Lurker
Lux Newbie

Post by Lurker » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:27 pm

Old, repetitive, and pointless conversations, indeed.

Symbiosis
Lux Solicitor

Post by Symbiosis » Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:39 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Symbiosis
Lux Solicitor

Post by Symbiosis » Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:43 pm

Just as an example, buying an existing business and using better market leverage, resources, and expertise in order to multiply the revenue of a business several times over is the whole game of private equity: https://www.wsj.com/articles/who-will-i ... 1663362421

Lurker
Lux Newbie

Post by Lurker » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:53 pm

Curious footnote: The logo above was used for Luxtoberfest XVI in 2019. Unlike all previous years, the graphic and linked file name didn't include any numerical signifiers, and was labeled with a generic "future" tag. In other words, dustin gave up the ghost back then, and the only reason for a new logo in 2020 was unplanned cross-marketing for Turtoa. Worse, he couldn't be bothered to recycle the forever logo after the fact, and gave up hosting immediately thereafter. No email subscription newsletters since November 2020 either.

(Smart private equity funds don't salvage toxic brand names.)