learning the ropes of biodeux

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
helen
Big Papa Slux

learning the ropes of biodeux

Post by helen » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:49 pm

... is hard! any tips?

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:51 pm

Pray for a good start and try not to piss anyone off.

helen
Big Papa Slux

Post by helen » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:59 pm

pray for good start ---- check

try not to piss anyone off ---- not sure where to draw the line
and I get snubbed too
:x

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:04 pm

Snubbed?!!!!

imapickle
is a pickle

Post by imapickle » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:24 pm

I got called a "retard" yesterday for popping an income of 400 with an army of 10 on the border. Then he wasted 500 odd armies in a revenge attack.

I think i´ll stay away in future.

dollabillz
Disinterested Hipster

Post by dollabillz » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:28 pm

protip: don't play bio

Llama LluxaLlot
Llux Lliaison

Post by Llama LluxaLlot » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:11 am

I disagree

I woulda popped the income too. Most people would. You can play bio without all those freakin unwritten rules. Hell, even if I am "cool" with someone I will pop their income if they have 10 armies (if it will do me some good....not just for the hell of it. )

I should note that I don't win much though. .....

But I don't win much on any map.

But seriously folks. All maps have their individual styles that people expect you to follow. Some of these people are parroting terms they don't even understand. I played a game where a guy said "nice halfkill" after anyone pretty much did anything. Rome has "Romacide. Classic has the most whining ever about every move anyone makes. I am talking regulars whining at regulars. It's just the way the game is played.

Bio- Lucky starts are hard to beat. There are not that many starts that ensure a win though. Unless you start with a defendable NA or Russia and fe in one defendable lump, other players will bust you up in the early rounds. You should do the same to them. Someone may call you an asshat. But you should respond with " My ass and your face". Then the game will continue.

Grab income early. you have a 30% increase most likely. If you can take anything and protect it with 2's first or second round that may be good enough because other people will have one's and two's too. keep an eye on the cards. Bio players are notorious for misplaying cards. If you can hold a moderate income long enough for cards to be worth something you have an advantage if you are good at multiple card kills. Bio players will often make a kill, cash, and refortify when they could have run the board. I have trouble with this myself. Again with the not winning often. So start is important, but not everything.

good luck!

Hi Helen

:smt023

snarl
Luxer

Post by snarl » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:51 am

i agree with the illustrious illama's illuminations.

more points to consider:

when someone asks you a favour early in the game, arrange for one back. ie: someone says 'burn yer 4 in af (translation: i want this bonus income for as little effort as possible)'. you say 'open a path to eu, and let's be cool for a while'.

if you got away with a poorly defended small income at the start, use some of the income to also fortify a satellite country so you look less card tasty later on.

one unwritten rule: if a player has a very large income, and has hesitated running the board, try working with other players to weaken that player. But, remember not to suicide. I played one of the most fun bio games yesterday where with 3 men left, 2 of us weakened another, and then all 3 battled it out. i didn't win, but all 3 of us agreed the end game was great; considering the amount of whining and fingerpointing and effing bio games get, these sorts of games show how bio can be fun.

most players are 'cool' about two neighbours being cool, but are not cool when they take the piss (ie, 2 man defence on neighbouring borders, while they pick at/asshat the other players).

----

i watched the game pickle is talking about above and it was a very very pointless 6 man marathon. pickle hit the 10, but the other player had an eu bomb and over reacted. after pickle and the other player were killed? ...it became a 4 man marathon.

marathons in bio are unnecessary. it mostly means a couple players are too weak to do anything, and the other players have no strategy to win except to wait/hope for someone to get impatient and go off on one.

mazza
Lux Sugar Daddy

Post by mazza » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:21 am

Mazza thinks Helen is far too sexy to be in the ghetto with all those ruffians.......

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:51 am

Matt_Leaf
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Matt_Leaf » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:41 am

A lot of great advice here. Don't be spineless. If you want something done, ask. Most people don't want to cause a problem or get asshated so they will bend to your will. Unfortunatly it has the same affect on you. If someone asks you to do something reasonable ie: burn 1 in oz. And you don't... it could come back to haunt you. Overall be friendly...but not to friendly.

Oh and like someone said above about good starts...

There is an unspoken taboo in bioduex, Taking Russia and Far East in early game is looked down upon. You will most likely get teamed and go out 5th or 6th.

SmotPoker
Lux Addict

Post by SmotPoker » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:51 am

If someone protects their borders with 10 and had 500 in the middle waiting incase someone penetrates the border.. then yes expect a full retaliation with the 500 armies. This has happened to me a few times, but over time you will learn by trial and error... They call that 500 men "the bomb"
time and time again i hear, "what, you didn't see my bomb?"

juveke
lux veteran

Post by juveke » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:00 pm

Helen!

You should watch Tortoise playing a couple of games.
Do exactly the opposite.
And very important, type a kind of english anyone won´t understand :wink:

Seriously:
it is no problem, or shame, come to a room and say you don't know how to play it very well bio or asking for advices.
you'll see you'll meet some nice ladies/guys that will help you in many tips/aways.

Very Important:
Never ... but never take an advice from tortoise

:wink:

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Re:

Post by Bean » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:46 pm

imapickle wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:24 pm
I got called a "retard" yesterday for popping an income of 400 with an army of 10 on the border. Then he wasted 500 odd armies in a revenge attack.

I think i´ll stay away in future.

sigh