Hosting — Setup & How to Guide

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
Owned
Lux Veteran
Location: Lair of Bane watching Schro put Symbi into tight attire

Hosting — Setup & How to Guide

Post by Owned » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:22 pm

This thread is to help luxers get their hosts setup and working properly. It took me quite a while to do so myself.

First, you should check out this page about router and firewall setup: Lux Hosting Help. Usually the issue is opening up your 6619 port (or 3319 port for Alliance).

If you cannot figure it out from there, post here and someone will do their best to help you out. Cheers and happy luxing! :castle

If you want to run an automated room without being there, read the how to run a headless host thread.

Once you have your host setup, here is some useful information on how to use your host properly:

Here is a list of chat commands and how to use some of them below:
  • command — description of command's use — example command (action of command) — Notes
  • /start — start a new game — As a host the /start command will restart with no restrictions, beware
  • /desc <description> — change the description of a public networked game — /desc Welcome to Owned's Color Collusion
  • /megamute <player> — mute this player for everyone — /megamute Owned
  • /boot <player> — disconnect an inactive player or guest — /boot Owned
  • /ban <player> — ban the IP address of an abusive guest — /ban Owned
  • /clearban <player> — clear all banned IP addresses — /clearban Owned
  • /maplock — Lock the game to this map (useful for Autoplay games)
  • /map <map> — switch to the given map for the next game — /map Roman Empire II — You must input the exact map name, caps matter!!
  • /setcards <card-string> — switch the card settings for the next game — /setcards 4681015 (cards will be set to 4,6,8,10,15...) & /setcards 5e10 (cards will be set to 5,10^10%) — The e is used for exponential card settings
  • /setconts <cont-increase> — switch the continent settings for the next game — /setconts 10 (continent bonus will be set to 10% increase)
  • /settime <seconds> — switch the timer for the next game — /settime 36 (time will be set to 36 seconds)
  • /setrank <true|false> — switch the ranked setting for the next game — /setrank true
  • /setauto <true|false> — switch autoplay mode to on or off — /setauto false
  • /setshuffle <1,2,3,...> — set game order — /setshuffle 2 — sets game order to random, but winner stays /setshuffle 4 — sets game order to highest ranked (works only on weekends)
  • /setsilent — turns off/on chat for everybody
  • /set bio<1,2,3,...> — sets the level of biohazard for the game — /set bio3
  • /set abortbotgames <true|false> — turn off bot only games — /set abortbotgames true
  • /set noHumanSpeedup <true|false> — allows or disallows bots to speed up once all humans are eliminated — /set noHumanSpeedup true
Last edited by dustin on Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Re: Hosting — Setup & How to Guide

Post by dustin » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:42 pm

The host rating form is back online as well. It's used to color hosts names in the tracker.

chappie
Luxer

Post by chappie » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:47 pm

HI MODS, having issues with whole hosting thing, logged into my router but unfortunately it does not have an option to select the port under port forwarding, it also asks me an application (lux not listed) and a device.

thanks

chapter

Owned
Lux Veteran

Post by Owned » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:12 pm

Can you tell me which model router you have? The options are most likely there, just hidden behind a veil of techy words.

chappie
Luxer

Post by chappie » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:14 pm

sure its BT home hub 5

Owned
Lux Veteran

Post by Owned » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:41 pm

Here is a page I found. It seems you were in the correct place but you needed to add lux as an application. If you go about a third of the way down this page you will come to:
BT.com wrote:What to do if the game/application is not listed
Create a new game or an application by clicking Manage games and applications from within the Port forwarding screen then follow these steps. You must know the details of your port forward at this stage.
  1. Enter a name for the game or application
  2. To create a variant of a game or application that is already defined select Yes next to Copy an existing game/application then select the game/application in the list
  3. To add a new game/application select No next to Copy an existing game/application
  4. Enter Protocol > Port range > Translate to as appropriate for the rule you are adding
  5. Click Add.
  6. If there are multiple protocols/ranges for this rule repeat steps 4 and 5 as appropriate
  7. Click Apply
  8. Go back to Port forwarding
  9. Select the name chosen in step 1 in the 'LH Game/Application' box and in 'RH Device' box
  10. Select User defined IP address and then manually enter IP addres
  11. Select Add then Apply
For 9. you will need the MAC address for your computer you are playing Lux on. If you need help with that let me know.

For 10. your computer will need to have a static IP address set and that IP address should be used. If you need help setting a static IP let me know.

After that you should be good.

chappie
Luxer

Post by chappie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:17 am

thanks for this.....i found the part where i enter in the lux delux game and added it, however it doesn't give me an option to enter in IP or Mac address. it does this automatically.

chappie
Luxer

Post by chappie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:23 am

sorted :)

Owned
Lux Veteran

Post by Owned » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:03 pm

Awesome

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous
Location: Habitual board flippers should have their dice taken away.

Post by WhirlPlaid » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:38 pm

I hosted a game or two last night (GG KoC!) and I had to refer to this thread to get my host back online. Seems my IP address had changed from the last time I hosted. Strange. TY for the thread Owned.

kitty on catnip
Lux Elder

Post by kitty on catnip » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:53 pm

WhirlPlaid wrote:I hosted a game or two last night (GG KoC!) and I had to refer to this thread to get my host back online. Seems my IP address had changed from the last time I hosted. Strange. TY for the thread Owned.
Don't you mean GG 4times? :D

Can't catch da kitty :catrun

I helped a newbie set up his host earlier today, it's pretty complicated

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous
Location: Habitual board flippers should have their dice taken away.

Post by WhirlPlaid » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:55 pm

I must admit I was off my game last night (distraction or two), but ultimately, YOU DESTROYED!

Owned
Lux Veteran

Post by Owned » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:40 pm

The most complicated part is how everyone has a different setup and there are many different names for the same thing. A quick Google search can usually figure most things out. But I still have yet to be able to host at my parents house. Their router refuses to let me do what I want with it. :smt013

kitty on catnip
Lux Elder

Post by kitty on catnip » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:52 pm

Don't suppose there is any easier way for to dustin to allow the hosting...?

I mean it wasn't difficult for me but I definitely had to pay attention, read everything a few times and call my router and test it a few times.

Owned
Lux Veteran

Post by Owned » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:56 pm

There's not much dustin can do on his end. Your firewall, antivirus, router, and ISP all have to allow lux to communicate with the Internet through port 6619 which is where most all of the problems occur.

Fofito
Lux Newbie

Post by Fofito » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:16 pm

Not being able to host
I hadn't played for years. Uploaded and logged today...
Trying to start a Private gamne but no luck...
Also cannot check for the port status in my Vodafone Huawei ROUTER... can only log through the Vodafone app and cannot find the setting there
keep getting error message ✱ Error connecting to the LuxTracker: Either you are not connected to the internet or the LuxTracker is currently offline ✱

I know my Mac's firewall is off

frustrated

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:30 am

Perhaps just play in aj public room. there are plenty to go around and you can likely ask folks to stay out if you and 5 friends just want to play together

I can change a room to any map you like.

I am sorry, but I have not kept up with hosting issues in recent years.

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:50 pm

Fofito wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:16 pm
Not being able to host
I hadn't played for years. Uploaded and logged today...
Trying to start a Private gamne but no luck...
Also cannot check for the port status in my Vodafone Huawei ROUTER... can only log through the Vodafone app and cannot find the setting there
keep getting error message ✱ Error connecting to the LuxTracker: Either you are not connected to the internet or the LuxTracker is currently offline ✱

I know my Mac's firewall is off

frustrated
Hi Fofito,

have you tried the following?
https://sillysoft.net/hosting/routers.php

calimo
Lux Newbie

Post by calimo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:51 pm

Hi Folks!

trying to host...frustrated...thought i could figure this out. here's what i've done:

checked mac firewall: not up...check!
went to my Arris Surfboard SB8200 website...it doesn't do port forwarding...check!
went to my Apple airport utility... went to my airport time capsule which serves as the wireless router for my home...Went to the "network" tab......put in the public TCP port for 6619 (as well as the pUblic and private UDP ports). in the "type" column, it says "IPv4" after this update to the router.

any idea what the heck i'm doing wrong??

thanks for your help!

peace,
calimo

calimo
Lux Newbie

Post by calimo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:04 pm

Hi Folks, I'm in a Covid-19 situation and wish to host games...but frustrated with doing this correctly..

I thought I followed the directions... using a Arris Surfboard SB8200 as my modem and an apple AirPort Time Capsule as my wireless router...

no firewall on...
went into the AirPort Time Capsule and added a Public TCP Port for 6619 for public and private UDP and TCP ports...

anybody wanna help a noob?

thank you!

peace,
calimo

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:05 pm

calimo
Lux Newbie

Post by calimo » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi Dustin! Thanks for your help... I actually figured it out. When I put in the TCP Port for 6619, my Apple AirPort Time Capsule assigned a specific ip address in the private ip field. I had to manually assign my computer to that ip address (turning off DHCP to manual) and it worked!

yea! thanks for your help!

peace,
calimo