Mac pinwheel of death crashes entire OS X

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
BobL
Lux Newbie

Mac pinwheel of death crashes entire OS X

Post by BobL » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:49 am

Hi all

I've got a recurrent problem. Playing Lux delux on Mac Mojave 10.14.6 randomly brings up the infamous Mac pinwheel of death. Sometimes after spinning for 10-20 seconds the pinwheel goes away and the game recovers. However, the pinwheel comes back from time to time and eventually doesn't go away - the entire computer becomes unresponsive, the keyboard and mouse are locked out and the only option is to kill the power and reboot the whole system. This is something which just shouldn't happen on Macs! I can't bring up Force Quit, and it doesn't crash out with a Kernel Panic.

I'm using the latest version of Lux (Aug 10, 2019). I've been playing (just against bots) for more than 10 years with no problems, and this particular problem only started happening in the last week or so.

I'd welcome any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Bob

rayan008
Lux Newbie

Re: Mac pinwheel of death crashes entire OS X

Post by rayan008 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:31 pm

Try to use other apps and, if they're work fine, Force Quit out of the app that's freezing. To Force Quit on a Mac, you can: Press Option + Command + Escape simultaneously to open the Force Quit menu. From there, you can select a program and click "Force Quit" to end it

BobL
Lux Newbie

Post by BobL » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:23 am

Thanks for the reply. This is useful information for any Mac user to know, even though it didn't actually work with the problem I described. Once the computer was locked up, I couldn't even get Force Quit to work - despite many attempts!

However, the problem is now solved. It turns out that Apple released a faulty OS X security update that affected certain Mac models, including mine. This security update badly affected the video drivers, causing the symptoms I described. It turns out that Lux was the most badly affected, but the problem itself wasn't due to any fault in the Lux software.

Fortunately, Apple has released a further update which appears to have fixed the problem, and I'm able to dominate the world once again!

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:30 am

Glad that your problem is solved. Thanks for the information here - maybe other Mac Users are affected too.

>I've been playing (just against bots) for more than 10 years with no problems
Maybe you would also enjoy playing online? Would be happy to see you online once too :-)

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:12 pm

rayan008 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:31 pm
Try to use other apps and, if they're work fine, Force Quit out of the app that's freezing. To Force Quit on a Mac, you can: Press Option + Command + Escape simultaneously to open the Force Quit menu. From there, you can select a program and click "Force Quit" to end it
BobL wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:23 am
Thanks for the reply. This is useful information for any Mac user to know, even though it didn't actually work with the problem I described. Once the computer was locked up, I couldn't even get Force Quit to work - despite many attempts!
rayan008 was just a spambot that got trough :) Always helpful these spambots.