Understanding Lux Game Dynamics

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Understanding Lux Game Dynamics

Post by Bean » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:45 am

There are things you might like to know if you want to be on the same page with other players (or at least see their page off over there in the distance). Please contribute. Here are a few of my ideas:

What most affects game outcomes in rank order (bean's subjective perception).
1. Cards, Card Kills, and Card value inflation rate relative to Income Inflation.
2. Rule #2 violations. (e.g. the game is ruined, partly ruined, or overdetermined by someone making a bad move that harms others but does not help himself or herself).
3. Strategic choices (timing, projections, etc)
4. Skills and tactics (speed, keyboard shortcuts, army placement)
5. Income and income inflation rate.

Things new players should know.
1. Importance of cards/card kills (how to teleport after a kill, how inflation of card values will work)
2. Income is important but not THAT important. (because of cards).
3. If your territory is all grouped together once the card killing (end game) starts, you are a nice target. Many new players and some vets just love to develop their territory (looks so pretty!) but do not think about how nice and convenient they might be making it for their eventual killers.
4. Game settings nowadays are most often designed to avoid marathons, so cards are even more important. For example, if card value inflation is not higher than income inflation in middle to large maps (like Imperium Romanum Expletus), very long boring games ensue.
5. Verbal abuse is very likely. It IS against the rules, but so is speeding in your car. Try to be patient and also try not to stoop to that level where you are name calling, whining/complaining, expressing outrage that your opponents are trying to oppose you, and belittling others because you think they are stupid. It's easy to look stupid yourself that way.
6. Short maps (like bio deux) most often have very short end games with a tight range of possible outcomes (you only get one shot to call it correctly), whereas longer maps (like Imperium), give a little more leeway and are more likely to have an ebb and flow in a longer end game (you get a 2nd chance sometimes).
7. Little side battles with one opponent while the others all sit back and watch are a bad idea. The game is ruined once 2 people get in a pissing contest. IT's a win for someone else, but still boring.

Common errors:
1. Locking your big armies in or near the end game. If you have an army that is capable of taking out some opponents to earn their cards and maybe to win, then try keep near enemy territory, not locked behind your own territories where they will not be able to make attacks.
2. Half killing. Be careful not to get too excited about one opponent that you kill them mostly but leave the rest (and their cards) for one of your other opponents.
3. Not paying attention to turn order. Who is next and how many cards to they have, etc?
4. Not paying attention to INFO and its implications for your strategy.
5. Turn order again: Making an easy kill but setting up your next opponent with two other easier kills next, now having already jacked up the card value.
6. Reacting instead of thinking (e.g. attacking the person who just attacked you while a nice ripe kill was waiting for you if only you were not wearing your rage goggles.)
Last edited by Bean on Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

secret rules

Post by Bean » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:23 pm

Secret rules. Just the ones that come to mind right away:

Overview: These and others are NOT rules, but other players are often in the habit of playing as if they are, and habits feel like rules, so you earn disapprobation for violating them. If you don't gain by it, it's even worse. Here are some examples to go with the ones specifically mentioned in the actual rules.

1. Don't harass opponents early in the game. Vets tend to build income and collect cards for awhile, until there is a payoff to killing for cards. You don't gain much by what is almost always singling one opponent out early.
2. Don't trash an opponent when there are bots around still. Some folks don't care, but many do. If you decide you like the "rule" then certainly do NOT adhere to it if it means losing because you can't get to the last bot without going through human lands. Still, it's nice not to get trashed before the bots, and some bots are wicked. Don't harass a human while the Reaper gets bigger and bigger.
3. Don't hit other players' income before the end game. This is sort of a necessary non-existent rule in order to play with certain people. I believe one ought to have increasing defense in order to avoid opponents popping one's income. Some believe one army is all that is necessary because they assume everyone is just waiting for the end game and no one will challenge weak defenses.

Excerpt from our actual rules:
""Things that are NOT against the rules:

Killing or attacking your opponents, regardless of card value, the presence of AI's (bots), or opponents' preferences.
Refusing to "be cool," burn armies for the convenience of your opponents, or participate in opponents' schemes.
Treating some players differently in the game according to your beliefs about their quality (ability, diplomacy, position in game) as long as it does not violate rule #2 by ruining games.
Either choosing to restart OR play it out when more humans enter a room.""

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Re: Understanding Lux Game Dynamics

Post by Dangerous Beans » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:15 pm

Asking someone if they are 'cool' should be against the rules. It is really a threat whereby the party asking the question is inherently saying "if you do not agree not to attack me, then I will suicide you first". Ultimately one of tow things will happen, either both players will lose to an outside force, or if one of them wins they will have to break the alliance, upon which inevitably one party will likely feel they were wronged or that the act of being 'cool' (i.e. teaming) was broken too soon. It is a combination of teaming and griefing via threatening to suicide a player for not doing what you want- and is just as valid of a strategy as the 'bomb strategy' (you guessed it! ... neither are valid strategies).

SecondTermMistake
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by SecondTermMistake » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:55 pm

While I am definitely on the side of the fence that thinks asking "cool?" is lame, I'm not sure the usage is usually the way you describe.

I agree that it's a threat, but usually not of a suicide, but rather of popping income.
Usually it's two folks, early in the game, securing income, often with weak boarders.
Lets say the two players are RUSSIA and FAREAST.

RUSSIA controls RUSSIA.
FAREAST has a lot of armies in China, and is about to take FE.

FAREAST has two options: take FE, but likely leaving weak'ish boarders, that someone with Russia income could easily pop.
Or pop Russia's weak boarders, which often can lead to retaliation - which can be deadly in the early game.

So instead, FAREAST says, "are we cool RUSSIA?"
Effectively saying, "RUSSIA, if you promise not to pop FE next turn, I'll let you keep your income and not pop RUSSIA this turn"

It's still a threat, it's still a bit of teaming, but at least that version doesn't feel that bad.

I for one won't say "cool?", but I will say, "I'm not going to pop Russia, please return the favor."

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Mon May 24, 2021 10:07 pm

If a player's decision whether or not to attack another player during their turn depends on if the player(victim) they are considering attacking responds to them in the chat then that is pretty ridiculous.

SecondTermMistake
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by SecondTermMistake » Mon May 24, 2021 10:56 pm

Ha. Put that way, I’m inclined to agree 😛

JaneAlora
Lux Newbie

Post by JaneAlora » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:56 am

Thanks for the post. It has helped me a lot as a new player.