NAPOLEON: First Italian Campaign (1796)

Lux maps won't make themselves.
SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Sun May 23, 2010 2:11 pm

On March 2, 1796 the Directors of the French Republic appointed Napoleon Bonaparte as the commander-in-chief of the Army of Italy. This was primarily a political manoeuvre, getting the ambitious young artillery commander - recently promoted to general at the age of 26 - out of Paris and relegating him to the most neglected of the French Republic's thirteen principal field armies.

Almost immediately after Napoleon arrived he began a whirlwind campaign in Northern Italy. Within two weeks he defeated the Sardinians in Piedmont. After a brief respite he marched eastward and drove the Austrians out of Lombardy, taking control of Milan.

Napoleon then wanted to pursue the Austrians into Tyrol, but the French Directory in Paris ordered him to swerve south, attacking the Duchy of Parma, the Duchy of Modena, the Grand Duchy of Tuscany, and the Papal States. In less than a month Napoleon was back in Milan, having successfully achieved the capitulation of the aforementioned territories.

Now more than ever, Napoleon was determined to drive the Austrians out of Italy. His main obstacle, however, was the strongest Austrian base in Italy: the fortress of Mantua. He had begun the siege of Mantua during his southern excursion, and now resumed it with renewed vigor.

Napoleon was able to capture or defeat all armies sent to relieve Mantua, and the city finally surrendured in January, 1797. After a brief southern raid into the Papal States, Napoloen marched north through the Alps towards the gates of Vienna, forcing Austria to sue for peace.</description>

For the startiung scenario, I recommend using a teaming bot (Communist, Trotsky, Nefarious, Reaper, etc.) for Austria and Piedmont while using Defender for Venetian Republic, Papal States and Independent States.

ekilicturgay
Lux Newbie

thanks

Post by ekilicturgay » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:16 am

Hi,

Thanks for creating this map about Napoleon, i am the one who requested it in the forum. I really liked it.

Can you also make a map about the battle of Vienna ?

You can see the details of my request in the forum.

Thanks,

Emre

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:25 am

That looks awesome.

AllysonTallant
Lux Newbie

Post by AllysonTallant » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:49 am

Hi I just stumbled across this.

What are the red, yellow, green and purple dots !

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:11 am

They are cities. Every region has one.

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:21 pm

And it is awesome.

:D