Making a map for Game of Thrones

Lux maps won't make themselves.
nimrah
Lux Newbie

Making a map for Game of Thrones

Post by nimrah » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:56 pm

This actually will included Essos and the parts of Sothoryos that we have seen through book 5.

The map is HUGE and in the process of creating it, I have apparently left some incomplete country artifacts.

When I attempt to load the map, it tells me there is a country with no connections. When I try to find it in the editor, I can't seem to locate it. I'm assuming it is a straight line somewhere and too small for me to see.

Any ideas for locating/deleting this country artifact?

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:08 pm

The simplest way? Assuming you're technically inclined?

Open your .luxb file in any text editor and search for: "<adjoining></adjoining>"

(You can reconnect them manually in the text editor, or use country names to locate them in Lux's map editor.)

nimrah
Lux Newbie

Post by nimrah » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:26 pm

That worked, thanks! :)

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:36 pm

(No problem. We're here to help any time.)

I should also tell you that there may be potential copyright issues that would prevent Sillysoft from distributing your map via the official plugin manager. The Tolkien estate is notoriously hardcore about enforcing restrictions on their intellectual property, therefore all Lord of the Rings inspired maps have been rejected. I'm not sure about GRRM's stance on fan produced Game of Thrones stuff though, or how Sillysoft would react to your submission. I guess there's only one way to find out, huh? If all things come to worst, then you and your online friends could still distribute and play the map privately.

;)

Matt_Leaf
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Matt_Leaf » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:11 pm

I would be interested in this map. If it does get rejected by sillysoft, please inbox me a link where I can DL it from.

THX

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:52 am

Unfortunately, this map will not pass the copyright sniff test. I encourage you to make it and share on the black market if so inclined though!

William Wallace
Luxer

Re: Making a map for Game of Thrones

Post by William Wallace » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:32 am

bump.

So i figure if the names are changed and if its drawn by hand/off proportion it wont be copyright infringement..?

I spent two hours and drew out a version on paper, scanned and made a -rough- outline in photoshop with some boundaries and major cities, eg, Dragon Tooth (dragon stone), Kings Castle (Kings Landing), etc. i'll get a pic up soon- but you guys think that would be chillin?

General K
Lux KAPITALIST

Re: Making a map for Game of Thrones

Post by General K » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:51 am

You have to avoid copyright issues, I remember once I wanted to create a map for middle earth based on Lord of the rings but I couldn't…

careful.

:smt018