What determines the largest viewable map size?

Lux maps won't make themselves.
nimrah
Lux Newbie

What determines the largest viewable map size?

Post by nimrah » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:28 pm

My map is a certain size in the editor, but it gets cut off when I go to play it.

Is my computer's resolution the limiting factor?
What is a standard size for most maps? (I have a HUGE map and I don't want to lose the level of detail that I've got here).

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:53 pm

(I dunno if there is a absolute upper limit to map sizes. Probably not, within reason, of course.)

End users can decide if they want to play huge maps in actual size with scroll bars or scaled to fit their monitors. Both options are available as default app preferences or ad hoc adjustments in the map menu. Obviously, resized maps can be problematic when army count numbers and icons end up bigger than the countries themselves. Everything might end up crammed so close together as to become unclickable. As for standard sizes? I'd say 1280 pixels wide is a reasonable limit. Many players will shrink down to 960 pixels or less, but things should still be playable. As for height? Umm, well, that's more complicated. Since nearly all computer monitors are horizontally oriented, then your map probably should be as well, otherwise it's often impossible to play without scroll bars. If scrolling during games doesn't bother you, then do whatever makes you happy, as long as you don't care that many online players will ignore your map.

∞ paranoiarodeo shrugs ∞