Map error

Lux maps won't make themselves.
mirevans
Lux Newbie

Map error

Post by mirevans » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:21 pm

Hello. I love playing Lux, and I really liked the "Downtown Lux" map. But lately, I get an error message when I try to play it: java.lang.NullPointerException. The map used to run just fine, but now it won't.

I'm using a desktop iMac with Intel processor, and I believe I have the latest version of Java installed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Michael

plummy
Community Fruit

Post by plummy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:21 pm

That map got map of the year last year...

Until someone with a little bit better idea posts, you could try to go to program files -> lux -> support -> themes, and deleting the folder for that map. Then just reinstall the theme from the plugin manager...

Might work, might not. Worth a shot while waiting for someone familiar with that error to come on.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:41 pm

Have you tried uninstalling the map then reinstalling via the plugin manager? That's usually a good first step whenever you run into a problem like this. If that doesn't work, then it might be a settings issue. In the main window, double check that all players have good names, and have been properly configured as humans or bots in the pulldown menus. If all else fails, you can delete your preferences file — ~/Library/Preferences/com.sillysoft.lux.plist — and start from scratch.

mirevans
Lux Newbie

Post by mirevans » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Thanks to both of you for your help. I'm sure I'm being quite dense, but I can't find either one of the files you mention. Where do I find the "program files"? And I went to Library, opened Preferences, and there seems to be no sillysoft file there.

I did remove and reinstall the map, but no change.

Thanks again!

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:11 pm

(plummy's using Windows. You won't find any "program files" on OS X.)

The simplest, quickest fix would be a clean reinstallation of all Lux support files.

Start by closing Lux.

Then open the Terminal application which can be found in the Utilities folder inside the main Applications folder.

Copy and paste these two lines exactly as written:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.sillysoft.lux.plist

rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/Lux

Reopen the Lux app, and everything should be fine again.

(You'll have to reenter your registration code, and reinstall any non-default plugins.)

mirevans
Lux Newbie

Post by mirevans » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Success! Thank you very much for your help.