Lux Names: Why did you choose your particular name?

Of the people, by the people, for the people, for whatevs.
Marauder
Midnight Luxer

Lux Names: Why did you choose your particular name?

Post by Marauder » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:24 pm

Eice's post gave me some inspiration for this thread. I have always been curious to the origins of particular names in Lux, so if you would like to share please do.

Maraud –verb (used without object) to roam or go around in quest of plunder; make a raid for booty

I always enjoyed the definition and word, but Midnight Marauders by A Tribe Called Quest is one of my favorite albums, so that contributed as well.

You may also see me playing as Senecal7, my original name when I bought Lux.

Senecal7 was inspired by Seneca's Letters of a Stoic. So it is actually Seneca L(for letters) #7. That particular letter impacted me the first time I read it. Plus it is a play on the word cynical, which I thought was fitting.
Last edited by Marauder on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Will E Style
RAW Dogger

Post by Big Will E Style » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:33 pm

Big Will E Style- Pretty much I'm a big dork and used a play on my name and Will Smith's album. Paranoiarodeo was taken, so this was my 2nd option. :wink:

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:43 pm

ShockandAwe - Named after the first major airstrike on Iraq by the US.

Just really liked the name as it seemed to fit my play style. Both in victory and those wonderful fall on your face moments.

C-Rex
Lux Piethrower

Post by C-Rex » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:55 pm

C-Rex is a shorter version of Carolus Rex (latin).
Carolus Rex means King Karl which was the name used for one of the many kings called Karl in Sweden - Karl XII.

Karl XII (17 June 1682 – 30 November 1718) was the King of Sweden from 1697 to 1718.:smt024

Karl XII was the only surviving son of King Karl XI of Sweden and Ulrika Eleonora the Elder, and he assumed the crown at the age of fifteen, at the death of his father.

He left the country three years later to embark on a series of battles overseas. These battles were part of the Great Northern War and many of them were fought against Peter I of Russia. Saxony, Denmark-Norway, Poland and Russia joined in a coalition to attack Sweden, starting what would later be known as the Great Northern War.

Karl XII was a skilled military leader and tactician (like myself). However, his skills as a politician in making peace were lacking. Karl XII is quoted by Voltaire as saying upon the outbreak of the Great Northern War, "I have resolved never to start an unjust war but never to end a legitimate one except by defeating my enemies." Although Sweden achieved several large scale military successes early on, and won the most battles, the Great Northern War eventually ended in Sweden's defeat which led to downfall of the Swedish Empire. :(

C-Rex admits that Clown-Rex or the dinosaur story would be a little bit more punchy.

Odelay
ooodelayheehoo!

Post by Odelay » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:13 pm

Odelay - I am bad a picking names, so I went with what I was listening to, Odelay by Beck.

Eice
Frozen One

Post by Eice » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:55 pm

Hehe, sit down, this might be relatively long if I pump out the entire story behind the name!

Eice:

Literal definition: Experimental ice. That was too long, so I took the E part to make it basically E. Ice or Eice.

The story behind the name:

The story behind the name Eice dates back to many years ago; however, more recently (the past year and a half to two years depending on how you look at it), it is actually my own story. I made a story, and my life followed it's very tracks.

The story is about a young man who (of course) ventures out on his own in search of his own 'story'. The man has a crippling disease, although he doesn't know it: his immune system shreds his own body. Due to the fact that his own immune system is the disease, there is no cure for it and he is projected to die quickly. During his time of wandering around for his 'story', he comes across a facility that uses people to test experimental procedures to find cures for things that were deemed 'incurable'. The man, certain that he will die at some point and he must see if the experiment will cure him, agrees to undergo the procedure.

The procedure works in such a way as to shut down the body and replace it. The man would be frozen, thus his entire internal structure would freeze and cease to react, and the doctors would work with this cure that they were calling 'Antimmune', which would shut down the immune system and basically create a new one. The man is cryogenically frozen and the 'cure' is put in him. Unfortunately, the new immune system works counterproductively and instead of targeting the broken immune system, it 'wakes' the man up.

Somehow, the new immune system forced his brain to continue running while frozen. He bust out of the cryogenic freezing tank and seemed as a normal human with one flaw: his internal structures were frozen solid. The man could walk, talk, think, react just as a normal human; however, he did not bleed even though any wound caused severe pain from the ice slightly chipping, he did not eat nor drink, and his memory was gone due to the fact that his brain was still frozen. It was as though the new immune system were a parasite controlling his body while he lay dead inside, but it was his own brain causing him to live.

The Experiment to freeze him in a block of ice and cure him had failed. With his memory gone, he ceased to be the man he was before and he became that which caused him to be living dead: Experimental Ice ..... Eice.

That's not the whole story, just a little bit of it. I like it :D

-NN-Grim
Luxidermy King

Post by -NN-Grim » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:45 pm

I carried my name over from my other on-line "addiction".

I was one of the founders of "Clan -NN-" in the original Unreal Tournament game, which I have played since 1999.
My full clan name... -NN-GrimReaper.... Shortened now to -NN-Grim.

The NN tag itself is another long story, but for the sake of brevity, it stands for the Independent Nation( "N"dependent "N"ation).
We were a clan all the way back to the days of the original UT demo game, and after taking over that world, we moved to the Full Version Clan Ladders. we played competively for a couple years there and I think we retired from Competitive team play in 2003-2004.
I still play UT occasionally and still support the old clan tag, so I brought it with me when I found Lux. 8)

The Wontrob
Ninja Doughboy

Post by The Wontrob » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:01 pm

My name will be a mystery forever, except for those who know.

Look at the lux facebook group and it is very easy to figure out.

The Wontrob fades into mysterious shadows...

djdee
lux widowmaker

Post by djdee » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:44 pm

djdee - sadly pretty unimaginative. I was DJ David - DJ Dave - DJD - djdee (aka donkey DJ, not for any anatomical reason more talent ones or lack there of - thus the Avatar)

djdee has been my name online where ever I roam for many years now. I like the buglike face the djd bit makes so I have always stuck with it.

Enokrad
Dark Spawn

Post by Enokrad » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:45 pm

My favorite comic book was "The Darkness".
read my alias backwards and you'll understand :D

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:58 pm

n00less cluebie: Mi NaMe IZ two obviuz too bothur ecksplaynink....

Lantern
Lux Superhero

Post by Lantern » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:42 pm

LANTERN - Well, I am sure it is pretty obvious why I chose the name Lantern. Just look at my avatar.

What you don't know is that my father, brother and I owned a Comic Book and Baseball Card store from when I was 9-21 years old so I was exposed to the wonderful world of comic books at an impressionable age. One of the benefits of my dad owning the store was FREE STUFF!! So I have quite a nice collection. Anyway we closed the store in the 90's.

I am a DC Fan which started mainly because my brother liked MARVEL. So I had to be different then him. Back in those days Batman and Superman were always the top heroes, so I chose Green Lantern as my favorite. I liked the idea that he used his imagination to create anything he wanted. I have always had a vivid imagination so I connected with the character.

Although the comic book store is gone and I am a bit older now, I will always be a Green Lantern Fan!!

In brightest day in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might. Beware my power.. Green Lantern's Light!

C'mon you gotta admit, he comes with a pretty powerful oath. Superman and Batman don't.

Packman
Loves his dice!

Post by Packman » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:15 pm

Packman - play off the old Pacman video game but the K is added for being a fan of the Green Bay Packers.

Scad
Lux Elder

Post by Scad » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:20 pm

Scad means nothing. It has no personal connection, represents nothing (I hadn't even heard of the Savannah College of Art and Design until I started playing), and was chosen for its simplicity and ease of use. it also bears no resemblance to my name.

:smt102

michelle
Lux Elder
Location: With mb, sas & Aqua at dustin's luxurious retirement village for ex-mods

Post by michelle » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:43 pm

:roll: oh no reason

MaW1028
Lux Hugger

Post by MaW1028 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:25 pm

MaW1028~

MaW is my initials

10/28 is my birthday :)

Mawnster ~

I got bored and wanted a better win %, which didn't happen... :/

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:43 pm

Nimrod = Biblical hunter and cool X-Men villain
7= no number was taken

I also used Nimrod7 for online Starcraft.

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:59 am

Mike - When i joined lux there were a lot of people (seemed like most, but I could be wrong) that used their real name. Dustin, Rob, Robbie, Matty Brown, Kef, DrJamessomething or other, - and my name is Mike. The community was really small - there were a few with clever names - Sasquatch, Preacherman, etc... but those sounded more like CB handles than names to me ;)

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest
Location: Sweden (capital of Denmark, an island in Norway, southern Europe)

Post by Preacherman » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:26 am

«kcckkcchht»

Preacherman to Sasquatch...come in. Do you read me, over?

«kcckkcchht»

el toro
Met Dustin

Post by el toro » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:02 pm

Mike wrote:Mike - When i joined lux there were a lot of people (seemed like most, but I could be wrong) that used their real name. Dustin, Rob, Robbie, Matty Brown, Kef, DrJamessomething or other, - and my name is Mike. The community was really small - there were a few with clever names - Sasquatch, Preacherman, etc... but those sounded more like CB handles than names to me ;)

cough

Enokrad
Dark Spawn

Post by Enokrad » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:45 pm

el toro wrote:
Mike wrote:Mike - When i joined lux there were a lot of people (seemed like most, but I could be wrong) that used their real name. Dustin, Rob, Robbie, Matty Brown, Kef, DrJamessomething or other, - and my name is Mike. The community was really small - there were a few with clever names - Sasquatch, Preacherman, etc... but those sounded more like CB handles than names to me ;)
cough
:shock:
LOL

<table><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td>Alias</td><td>Games</td><td>Win %</td><td>User ID</td><td>Raw</td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Mike">Mike</a></td><td>1279</td><td>26 %</td><td>954</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Flash">Flash</a></td><td>94</td><td>27 %</td><td>1023</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/spreadneck">spreadneck</a></td><td>79</td><td>33 %</td><td>14580</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Hot Carl!">Hot Carl!</a></td><td>56</td><td>41 %</td><td>1049</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Bishop">Bishop</a></td><td>45</td><td>29 %</td><td>1097</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Internal Drive">Internal Drive</a></td><td>30</td><td>30 %</td><td>2993</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Jugdish">Jugdish</a></td><td>28</td><td>36 %</td><td>2271</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Gambit">Gambit</a></td><td>25</td><td>24 %</td><td>1178</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Risk Playa">Risk Playa</a></td><td>21</td><td>10 %</td><td>2441</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Gamin">Gamin</a></td><td>17</td><td>24 %</td><td>1212</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Rook">Rook</a></td><td>17</td><td>35 %</td><td>1168</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Riskplaya">Riskplaya</a></td><td>15</td><td>20 %</td><td>1237</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Jeff Tweedy">Jeff Tweedy</a></td><td>15</td><td>7 %</td><td>4506</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Stanky">Stanky</a></td><td>15</td><td>20 %</td><td>1511</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Shingo">Shingo</a></td><td>11</td><td>18 %</td><td>1671</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Brant">Brant</a></td><td>11</td><td>45 %</td><td>2008</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Wilcofan">Wilcofan</a></td><td>11</td><td>36 %</td><td>5899</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Peter Sellers">Peter Sellers</a></td><td>7</td><td>29 %</td><td>1396</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Band26">Band26</a></td><td>7</td><td>57 %</td><td>5971</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/HotCarl!">HotCarl!</a></td><td>6</td><td>50 %</td><td>2345</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Gordon lightfoot">Gordon lightfoot</a></td><td>6</td><td>17 %</td><td>2991</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Joon">Joon</a></td><td>6</td><td>17 %</td><td>1091</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Faron">Faron</a></td><td>4</td><td>25 %</td><td>1960</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Long Dude">Long Dude</a></td><td>4</td><td>25 %</td><td>2156</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Angelo">Angelo</a></td><td>4</td><td>25 %</td><td>1018</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Vonlbot">Vonlbot</a></td><td>4</td><td>25 %</td><td>3232</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Sonar">Sonar</a></td><td>4</td><td>25 %</td><td>1506</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Henley">Henley</a></td><td>4</td><td>25 %</td><td>4688</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Rancor">Rancor</a></td><td>3</td><td>33 %</td><td>3593</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/EvilPlxie">EvilPlxie</a></td><td>3</td><td>0 %</td><td>2019</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/&#65533;e?&#65533;o &#65533;&#65533;&#65533;">�e?�o ���</a></td><td>2</td><td>0 %</td><td>1679</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Hot Carl">Hot Carl</a></td><td>2</td><td>0 %</td><td>1039</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Clover">Clover</a></td><td>2</td><td>0 %</td><td>4901</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/cruton">cruton</a></td><td>2</td><td>0 %</td><td>4500</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Jam Right">Jam Right</a></td><td>2</td><td>50 %</td><td>1064</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Puddin">Puddin</a></td><td>2</td><td>50 %</td><td>1218</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Mary">Mary</a></td><td>2</td><td>0 %</td><td>1234</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Mr Mister">Mr Mister</a></td><td>2</td><td>50 %</td><td>2257</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Ujjo Killm">Ujjo Killm</a></td><td>2</td><td>50 %</td><td>2325</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Talbert">Talbert</a></td><td>1</td><td>0 %</td><td>2342</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Lux Addict">Lux Addict</a></td><td>1</td><td>100 %</td><td>1060</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Ready-Press">Ready-Press</a></td><td>1</td><td>0 %</td><td>4600</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Gibralter Monkey">Gibralter Monkey</a></td><td>1</td><td>100 %</td><td>1046</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/8=o----Rawb">8=o----Rawb</a></td><td>1</td><td>0 %</td><td>4816</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Mucho Mania">Mucho Mania</a></td><td>1</td><td>0 %</td><td>2259</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/dratsaR taB">dratsaR taB</a></td><td>1</td><td>100 %</td><td>1022</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Flash!">Flash!</a></td><td>1</td><td>0 %</td><td>11005</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/&#65533;e&#65533;&#65533;o &#65533;&#65533;&#65533;">�e��o ���</a></td><td>1</td><td>0 %</td><td>1678</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Krokus">Krokus</a></td><td>1</td><td>0 %</td><td>4172</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/BettleJuice">BettleJuice</a></td><td>1</td><td>0 %</td><td>3878</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Jerry Garcia">Jerry Garcia</a></td><td>1</td><td>0 %</td><td>1563</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Non Robot">Non Robot</a></td><td>1</td><td>0 %</td><td>2439</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Scott Martin">Scott Martin</a></td><td>1</td><td>0 %</td><td>1504</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Halcyon">Halcyon</a></td><td>1</td><td>100 %</td><td>2782</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Otoole">Otoole</a></td><td>1</td><td>0 %</td><td>1366</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Stanley">Stanley</a></td><td>1</td><td>100 %</td><td>2337</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Aye Mate">Aye Mate</a></td><td>1</td><td>0 %</td><td>1051</td><td></td></tr><tr bgcolor='#E5E5E5'><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Carl Lewis">Carl Lewis</a></td><td>1</td><td>0 %</td><td>2308</td><td></td></tr><tr><td><a href="/lux/rankings/user/Systematic Destruction of Your Race">Systematic Destruction of Your Race</a></td><td>1</td><td>100 %</td><td>3230</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>

</table>

I'd love to see you explain all those :wink:

supergood
Baby Mama

Post by supergood » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:49 pm

well duh...cuz i am! j/k i really don't think i'm all that. i'm ok with the fact that i'm a fairly average lux player. my name was actually suggested by my bro-in-law who was here when i registered for lux. (he had played me in risk before :lol: ).

sasquatch
Semiholy Beast

Post by sasquatch » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:21 pm

«kcckkcchht»

Copy that, Preacherman. I was tied up in the chicken coop. Keep the bugs off your glass and the bears off your ass. Over....

«kcckkcchht»

jelly
∞ jelly jiggles ∞

Post by jelly » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:32 pm

I was hoping I could start a Jiggling fad!!!

∞jelly jiggles∞

:D :D :D

3DA
Luxtopian

Post by 3DA » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:10 am

OK, that Mike post is hilarious.

SO - my name.

One day, I was a n00b, using my n00b name with the 3 numbers after it, and I had just made some particularly awful move and was being berated by some veteran about how I should learn to play the game, get a life, read STM's guide, keep my armies out of his continent, get off his map, learn to count, etc. etc., and at the end of the rant he wrote "... and shorten your fucking name, nobody is going to want to write all that shit."

So, I changed my name to something shorter - and something I thought was kind of a cool trifecta of letters and number.

my wife hates me
Lux Elder

Post by my wife hates me » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:51 am

:roll:

djdee
lux widowmaker

Post by djdee » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:21 am

I should have called myself "my wife hates lux".

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest
Location: Sweden (capital of Denmark, an island in Norway, southern Europe)

Post by Preacherman » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:09 am

«kcckkcchht»

Roger that, Sasquatch. That Mike character sure is a hoot huh, complaining about our names. Over.

«kcckkcchht»

moe
fnnnarrrr

Post by moe » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:16 pm

el toro wrote:

cough
Mike rocks, plain and simple.

oh, Moe- not b/c of the stooges, or the simpsons.
moe just seemed like a good idea at the time-jovial name

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:06 am

Mike wrote:there were a few with clever names - Sasquatch, Preacherman, etc... but those sounded more like CB handles than names to me ;)
Missed the cb thing the first time. At least I understand what the hell preach and sas are doing now.

:oops: