Lux Names: Why did you choose your particular name?

Of the people, by the people, for the people, for whatevs.
Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:49 am

Enokrad wrote:
I'd love to see you explain all those :wink:
I'd say a good 75% of those are mine - perhaps more. I can explain Flash - he was my room mate at the time. Some of the others are me having fun, such as 8==>----Rawb (Pee on Rawb) - another vonLbot is an attempt to copy another players name - same with Gibralter monkey Vonibot's copy was most assuredly part of our feud - Gibralter Monkey, not sure why... perhaps just to see if I could. Bat Rastard was a friend - so I am sure that I played with his name backwards at some point, perhaps for giggles.... Some of the others were made up just for Halloween. I created Bishop as an attempt to construct a nemisis for Preacherman in the Forums - that failed when he became a moderator. This was motivated by boredom - and I thought it would be fun. Rook was supposed to be a counter nemesis or 'anti-bishop' - but that never took off since the Bishop thing did not work out too well either.

The others - Some I have never seen before - at one time, this list had Strongbad (whom I never played as) as an alias, so I suspect at least 15% (or more) of these are not mine. But I am willing to accept that they are all mine - and I just don't remember.

But to try to explain them all - understand that for me, having the option to play 'anonymously' was a feature of the game. There were no limits to the number of alias' a person could have years ago.

A little History -

When I first started playing Lux, I worked out of my house - and played as Mike, HotCarl! and my roommate played as Flash. I am sure that there were times when Flash played as me and vice versa - just too lazy to change the name.

Ultimately the company I worked for got into financial trouble - I had to work for a sister company and go to an office. I would play at work (I am sure none of you have ever done that) - and would pick a random name sometimes, in case I had to leave a game unexpectedly - this allowed me to play anonymously without everyone getting mad at me for leaving the game un-annouced.

However, it was determined by the community that anonymous play was not 'acceptable' - thus the limits on the alias', and a link to everyone's id.

I can see how it would be tempting for someone to play with an alias to 'asshat' other players - but I don't recall ever creating an 'asshat' alias - or joining a game with an unreg or alias just to asshat someone. Not to say that I have never asshatted - but that was not the intent behind my many alias'.

sasquatch
Semiholy Beast

Post by sasquatch » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:49 am

«kcckkcchht»

Mike is only the VP on the ticket, but this will certainly make some voters question their ethics... and Tide's choice in a running mate. Will “Alias-gate” topple the Tide/Mike '08 Campaign? Over...

«kcckkcchht»

Black Pope
Lux Exorcist

Post by Black Pope » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:03 am

Well, my horrible alias has been revealed, much to my shame. It's true, I was, at the beginning, The Black Pope, as opposed to my current, which is simple Black Pope.
When I lived in Jackson, I played Risk with a Jesuit priest who kicked my butt on a regular basis. I don't think I ever got close to winning.
He moved on to missionary work in a third world country, so we couldn't/can't email or any such thing. I wrote him about Lux when I first started playing and told him I'd honor him with m name.
The leader of the Jesuit order is affectionately called "The Black Pope", so that is the name I took...

puppy
Lux Pup Ty

Post by puppy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:08 pm

Figured no one would want to kill a puppy. Sooooo wrong

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:58 am

bump

Jeep_jk
Lux Newbie

Jeep !

Post by Jeep_jk » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Should be self explanatory:

Drifter
Semiholy Rambler
Location: An undisclosed location... for reasons of security, and therefore... insecurity...

Post by Drifter » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:35 pm

Dude, you need safari doors and take the top off. Nice JK though.

mazza
Lux Sugar Daddy

Post by mazza » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:20 am

EXCELLENT THREAD Mara; i had been thinking bout this for a long time but figured someone else had asked the question before.

Mine is pretty boring;

Mazza - my surname is Mazzarolo, and have been known as Mazza since i was about 7 years old. It has stuck over the years to the point that i was mates with a guy at school for over 3 years, when one day, the teacher said "Andrew if u dont shut up you are on detention". My mate leaned over to me and said "Who the hell is Andrew?" We laughed bout that one for the next 2 yrs. My wifey also has got into the habit of callin me "Mazza" and on our wedding day when the vows were being said, she had to correct herself halfway thru when she called me Mazza instead of Andrew.

i thought bout some different names for lux, such as "The Chosen one" or "Death from a Mouse", but after some careful consideration, i thought i would be boring and stick to my tried and true nickname! boring, but me, nontheless.........

:D

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:22 am

mazza wrote:but after some careful consideration, i thought i would be boring and stick to my tried and true nickname! boring, but me, nontheless.........
You may be MANY things Mazza--an asshat, a suicider, a frickin' Banite, an as.....wait, what's my point again? Oh right, you may be many things, but boring isn't one of 'em :lol:

cyanshade
Luxer

Post by cyanshade » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:27 am

Back in the nineties there was this thing called bungie.net where we played Myth: The Fallen Lords and Myth II: Soulblighter.

For the matchmaking system and lobby, you selected a nickname and two colours. After a few failures at selecting a unique enough nick, I humorously picked two shades of my favourite printing ink, the cyan and named myself A Shade of Cyan. Yes, bungie.net supported italics and bold in names.

This later got mangled into cyanshade. My Swedish friends called me "shejd." :)

mazza
Lux Sugar Daddy

Post by mazza » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:29 am

Nooless, THANKYOU........... I THINK.......

Wabbit of Doom
Luxer

Post by Wabbit of Doom » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:10 am

Because I hop a little around the house my husband calls me his Wabblt. I thought Wabbit sounded too soft and cuddly for a war game so I added the Doom part. Makes it more scarey.

Golfmannen
Lux Clown

Post by Golfmannen » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:40 am

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D Missed ya!

deez nuts
Bane before beer

Post by deez nuts » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:35 am

Well the name speaks for it's self does it not???????
ANY QUESTIONS?
THEN JUST SPIT EM OUT LOL

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:46 pm

HI WABBIT!!!!!!!!!! WE MISS YOOOOOOOOU!!!!!!!

∞ Nim dreams of all the half kills he got to clean up during wabbit games ∞

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:24 pm

Welcome back Wabbit!

Grrrr....I shoulda put you into my VIXENS song :-(

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:42 pm

the chainsaw helps :)

Wabbit of Doom
Luxer

Post by Wabbit of Doom » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:22 pm

I miss u clowns too. My video card crashed and I don't have the power to do LUX. I will fix it soon.

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:52 pm

W00t!!!!

∞ Nim dances ∞

GYPCOUNT
NATO

Post by GYPCOUNT » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:01 pm

Gypcount is a slang term used in the drywall trade. Drywall is made from the mineral gypsum. gypcount refers to the amount of drywall needed for a paticular job. I am a union carpenter that has hung alot of drywall.......thus "GYPCOUNT".

ps. mike is I were a trucker I would use the same name as my cb call name :lol:

VivaLosChichos
Noobie 4 Life!

Post by VivaLosChichos » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:41 pm

Here are my names: (starting with the best)

ViVaLosChichos -- So I'm a student in a high school Spanish class, but a year ago I was still in 8th grade. And that's when it was born. One day in class we're reading from the textbook, and fresh off of the summer I did not remember how to say any words. So of course, I get picked to read first. I was doing ok, and then i reached the word chicos. (pronounced chee-cohs). So instead i say chichos. (pronounced chee-chos) Everyone starts laughing, the teacher is pissing herself and I go home embarrassed as hell. But then it started to turn into a sort of "group" in the class. Four guys, me included started the whole thing. We all were going off the fact that we thought Viva meant live in spanish. So we started to say "Viva los Chichos!" in the honor of what I said.

I hope that clears up everything. It is not a play on words, troyan. :D And we are all straight guys so don't worry.

Tokyokid -- This was back when I was 12/13 years old and I was really into Japanese stuff. I also made some maps under the name (ie Space Empire's)

Cloverfield -- Like the movie, but I now wish I could take this one back.

x2x -- Does not mean anything, just another childish random "cool" looking name.

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:57 pm

GYPCOUNT wrote:Gypcount is a slang term used in the drywall trade. Drywall is made from the mineral gypsum. gypcount refers to the amount of drywall needed for a paticular job. I am a union carpenter that has hung alot of drywall.......thus "GYPCOUNT".

ps. mike is I were a trucker I would use the same name as my cb call name :lol:
Damn. I like Mr. Potato Heads thought about your name. Gypsy Vampire. :D

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:57 pm

*bump*

TheNeoclassic
Luxer

Post by TheNeoclassic » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:08 pm

My name... is a reference to neoclassical economics. Well, and I just liked it. Neo being new of course, but it's classic too! I dunno, it sounded snazzy to me. 8)

Bad news is that apparently some people think of neoclassical art first, rather than economics. And, honestly, I wouldn't consider myself a neoclassical economist. At all. So I guess that's mildly misleading. :D

ratmouse
Rodentia Luxer

Post by ratmouse » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:15 pm

sort of an anagram of my real name................

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor

Post by n00less cluebie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:46 pm

ratmouse wrote:sort of an anagram of my real name................
Moe Stuart?

themrb
Luxer

Post by themrb » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:40 am

mr. b

ratmouse
Rodentia Luxer

Post by ratmouse » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:42 pm

n00less cluebie wrote:
Moe Stuart?

you are aptly named my little clooless friend

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:02 am

n00less cluebie wrote:
Moe Stuart?
or Mat Rouse

Llama LluxaLlot
Llux Lliaison

Post by Llama LluxaLlot » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:53 am

Moat User?