Lux Names: Why did you choose your particular name?

Of the people, by the people, for the people, for whatevs.
soundboy
Sonic Turtle

Post by soundboy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:24 am

I'm a music freak.
And my alternate SN back in the day was Soundboy3120... based on a song called "Random" by 311 off of their self titled album.

I adopted Sonic Turtle based on my slow play, the tendency to fall into shell, and the fact that it was somewhat of a paradox - undoubtedly relating to SOUND, but inadvertantly referring back to speed.
(716 mph on dry land!)
Dustin helped me decide between Sonic Tortoise and Sonic Turtle... but I was leaning on the turtle side anyway.

At some point, I feel like I'll need to shed the "boy" and either become The Sound (with my alter ego being The Fury), or simply become Sonic Turtle.
But I don't like the idea of becoming an alias. I like keeping my body of work in one book - the good and the bad.

That being said, I like where I'm at right now... being both.

:smt020

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:25 am

Lux Llama wrote:Moat User?
Tomas Rue? BTW, Are you some sorta emu?

the tide
:D

Post by the tide » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:04 am

There was much hysteria regarding "red tides" when I first played Risk (on an Apple IIc, I believe). The name passed the intimidation factor for me at the time.
  • Humans can become seriously ill from eating oysters and other shellfish contaminated with red tide toxin.
Scary... no?

michelle
Lux Elder
Location: With mb, sas & Aqua at dustin's luxurious retirement village for ex-mods

Post by michelle » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:43 am

I remember when you started playing..... it was more annoying than scary....

TIDE!!!!.................friend .................................:)))))))))))))))))))))))))

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:33 pm

the tide wrote:There was much hysteria regarding "red tides" when I first played Risk (on an Apple IIc, I believe). The name passed the intimidation factor for me at the time.
  • Humans can become seriously ill from eating oysters and other shellfish contaminated with red tide toxin.
Scary... no?
So....you're saying you give people a stomach ache? I think the Lux Conservatives might agree with that :lol:

Us Moderates are usually ok with only a Rolaids ;-)

(just in case you were wondering, the pain _I_ induce is a little lower....)

Llama LluxaLlot
Llux Lliaison

Post by Llama LluxaLlot » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:42 pm

Well my name is so obvious that I don't think it needs explaining. :roll: Reverend Kleef is my ordained name in "The Church of the Subgenius™" Kleef was a nickname given to me in highschool by my two friends and fellow band members who were also Reverends in the Church. There names where Yan and Gorg. Our band was "AntiNazziX-istTechnicians" We never made it out of the Garage. Yan and Gorg shortened the band name to "Technicians", added a drummer and have had some success in Philly. I saw them before I moved, and they had recorded 3 albums. The latest had been recorded by Steve Albini. So yay for them.

This is the true origin of the LLux LLama. My Grandfather, Uncle (dad's brother) his wife, my mom's first cousin, a close friend of the family all died within months of each other from separate causes. The only logical thing for me to do seemed to be to Become a LLama, read as many fun facts as I could about Llama life, start a cult in the forums, and commit large amounts of my spare time to rediculousness. 2 months ago My grandmother died as well. But Hopefully this is the end of all that for a while. Thanks to all who have been positive and silly with me !

LLLL

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:20 pm

soundboy wrote:I like keeping my body of work in one book - the good and the bad.
Don't forget "the ugly."

soundboy
Sonic Turtle

Post by soundboy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:25 pm

Nimrod7 wrote:
soundboy wrote:I like keeping my body of work in one book - the good and the bad.
Don't forget "the ugly."
Quit staring at my facebook picture, clown shoes!

:smt020

ratmouse
Rodentia Luxer

Post by ratmouse » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:58 pm

n00less cluebie wrote:
Lux Llama wrote:Moat User?
Tomas Rue? BTW, Are you some sorta emu

remember I did say SORT of an anagram......you have guessed really close one time tho......A for effort

Mr.orami
Luxer

Post by Mr.orami » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Well it oramri104 was the name i was givin in the begening and well it stuck.......... i have moiz to thank for the Mr.oramri............................. Thanks Moiz :D Heres a cookie

http://www.freewebs.com/bbqbeefcakes/big_cookie.jpg

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:12 pm

Oh you know... that whole <a href="http://www.judiciary.gov.bt/html/educat ... crest.php/" target="_blank">Bhutanese Royal Court of Justice</a> thing, amongst other reasons. Plus, 'fluffernuffer' was already taken...

KingPatrick
Alpha Male

Post by KingPatrick » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:39 am

You all PICKED names?
I never THOUGHT of that...

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:40 am

I didn't choose my name ... it chose me ...

Llama LluxaLlot
Llux Lliaison

Post by Llama LluxaLlot » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:06 am

The Silken Knot wrote:Oh you know... that whole <a href="http://www.judiciary.gov.bt/html/educat ... crest.php/" target="_blank">Bhutanese Royal Court of Justice</a> thing, amongst other reasons. Plus, 'fluffernuffer' was already taken...

Bhutanese shmutanese.

I know what the real meaning is. And by "Know" I mean "Imagine Vividly". And by "Imagine Vividly" I mean....uh... never mind. :mrgreen:

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous
Location: Habitual board flippers should have their dice taken away.

Post by WhirlPlaid » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:09 pm

Mine is kinda an homage to the Boston based Ska/Core band the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

They sing a song about anti-racism and reference plaid as the color of their soul.

Back in '92 when I was an AOL newb I picked this name because I thought people would read it as "we are all plaid", weareallplaid. whirl plaid.

I thought that many colors working together to make a cool pattern was a good analogy as to how I felt about race.

Thus WhirlPlaid

Peace,
WP

Llama LluxaLlot
Llux Lliaison

Post by Llama LluxaLlot » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:16 am

I have seen then live, the mighty mighty bosstones. Great concert. Love the PLaid wearing dude whose only job was to jump around on stage. He didn't sing or play an instrument. He just showed off the plaid suit and jumped around with inhuman energy. :)

mazza
Lux Sugar Daddy

Post by mazza » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:07 am

whirlplaid wrote:Mine is kinda an homage to the Boston based Ska/Core band the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

They sing a song about anti-racism and reference plaid as the color of their soul.

Back in '92 when I was an AOL newb I picked this name because I thought people would read it as "we are all plaid", weareallplaid. whirl plaid.

I thought that many colors working together to make a cool pattern was a good analogy as to how I felt about race.

Thus WhirlPlaid

Peace,
WP

That is why i love this thread so much; i would NEVER have been able to guess where your name came from Twirly Whirly

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous
Location: Habitual board flippers should have their dice taken away.

Post by WhirlPlaid » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:04 pm

Lux Llama wrote:I have seen then live, the mighty mighty bosstones. Great concert. Love the PLaid wearing dude whose only job was to jump around on stage. He didn't sing or play an instrument. He just showed off the plaid suit and jumped around with inhuman energy. :)
I knew I liked you LLama, and now I have one more reason why.

Bosstones RAWK!

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty
Location: on the playground is where i spent most of my days, chillin' all nice and relaxing all cool and

Post by Red Beard » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:02 am

whew. sorry if this is a tad lengthy.

When I was a tot of maybe 7, i mad the mistake of dressing u as batman with my brother as robin. The real mistake came when i went to visit my aunts and uncles on my mothers side of the family. They're generally a bunch of wise asses which is why i love them(now), but as soon as I entered the room the started chanting "nunna nunna nunna nunna, NUNNA NUNNA NUNNA NUNNA, MATTMAN!!!" And it stuck. To this day at 26 they still sometimes call me mattman when i visit.

The 160 part came when I was in highschool. I was really into wrestling at the time and ended up placing 2nd and 3rd in the state of kentucky. With some of the games and screen names i would have, Mattman was often taken, so i would just commonly tack on a 160 (for the weight i wrestled at).

That was all an awefully long time ago though and i feel to a large degree that i've outgrown that name and had I planned on sticking around this joint as long as I have I probably would have picked something a little more fun or clever. Also, once the alias' were available for everyone to see, I felt like I could finally change my name with out being labeled an "alias"

Red Beard: As for my newest handle, it has a lot of associations to things i resect. For one, I am fascinated and awe stricken by the sea. I find it to be absolutely terrifying and beautiful. I'm currently a working artist and I often like to use the idea of "the sea" as a metaphor for the infinite. I also really identify myself with paper boats. They're such a wonderful symbol of transient child like playfulness. Combined the two and you have a powerful narative. For a while i used handles like "The Paper Sailor" and "The Paper Pirate" and although I like their poetic nature, they didn't seem to fit. "Red Beard" however is somewhat appropriate now considering my gingery nature and the fact that some of my friends call me "red" anyway. Annnnndd!!! ta daaaaa!

KingPatrick
Alpha Male

Post by KingPatrick » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:14 pm

whew. that was a tad lengthy.
;)

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:31 pm

Personally ... I wasn't able to read past his strangely hypnotic avatar ...

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:37 pm

I originally signed up as Mojo since that was my nickname in college. Even my kids call me Mojo sometimes...

Anyways, I was making maps before I ever played online. So when I couldn't join network games as Mojo, I switched it to SunTzu since I was reading the Art of War at the time.

imapickle
is a pickle

Post by imapickle » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:48 pm

Red Beard wrote: I also really identify myself with paper boats.
And you say IM an oddball. :roll: :)

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:46 am

Used to play an online game while working nights - an airplane based game thingy - hard to explain.

So, obviously in an airline game everyone used a cheesy handle like maverick, jester, goose...you get the idea...The server I played on went bye bye and that was the end of that.

So I use jester when I can and it was not avail. here so I chose jesterme as it rhymes with my name and gets the jester idea across.

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty
Location: on the playground is where i spent most of my days, chillin' all nice and relaxing all cool and

Post by Red Beard » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:53 pm

DoooomFM wrote:
Red Beard wrote: I also really identify myself with paper boats.
And you say IM an oddball. :roll: :)

The guy at the front of the boat is actually a 1 inch tall self portrait.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:50 pm

DaSkipper
Lux Newbie

DaSkipper

Post by DaSkipper » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:33 pm

I am the (da) Skipper. Like from Gilagins Island. My high school mascot "The Skippers"

pls
Lux Eldest

Post by pls » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:26 pm

I thought I answered this once. Maybe not.

Unlike the rest of you, I have absolutely no imagination when it comes to names.

So I just used my initials. Besides, for almost 34 years until I retired, I signed hall passes with my initials, as my last name is ten letters long, and by the time I managed to sign my entire name, the poor kid waiting had already peed him or herself. So for self defense, "pls" is what I used.

Too bad I can't get much self-defense out of the name in this game, too.

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor

Post by n00less cluebie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:37 pm

Oh I dunno pls. How many times HAVE you been peed on here in Lux?

:o

plane crazy
Lux Corporate Pilot

Post by plane crazy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:15 pm

I like airplanes.

Flown model planes since I was 5 and was in the R/C industry for 20 years. licenced pilot and plane owner, SEL and sailplanes.

Big fan of air racing.

I have played all but one game as Plane crazy, I will also let the body of my Lux work stand for history to judge.

Sometimes having the word "crazy" in your name can be good, but it mostly makes people wary of you.

Cheers,