Lux Names: Why did you choose your particular name?

Of the people, by the people, for the people, for whatevs.
Matt_Leaf
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Matt_Leaf » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:12 pm

My name is Matt and when I originally downloaded the demo lux, one of the name options was leaf. Me and all my roomates just put our name in front of what was there. followed by our last name..

Matt_Leaf_White

then was eventually shortned to Matt_leaf once I came back to lux after a long break

dollabillz
Disinterested Hipster

Post by dollabillz » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:00 am

dollabillz was my grandfather's callsign in the air force

Matt_Leaf
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Matt_Leaf » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:11 am

dollabillz wrote:dollabillz was my grandfather's callsign in the air force
That's the best one I've read, hands down

lux grinder

Post by 024964225 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:16 pm

when i was locked up in a cell in North Korea for two and a half years in the arly 1990s that was the number that they called me.

it was a terrible ordeal but an experience my ASIO councellors have told me i should not try to forget completely. attempting to shut it out of my brain only increases the nightmares.

so when i play lux it helps me revel in the knowledge that those days are behind me and never to return. a vivid figment that becomes more vague every year.

god bless LUX. it is something i can turn to on those sleepless, sweaty nights that nobody can really understand - not even me.

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:08 pm

024964225 wrote:when i was locked up in a cell in North Korea for two and a half years in the arly 1990s that was the number that they called me.

it was a terrible ordeal but an experience my ASIO councellors have told me i should not try to forget completely. attempting to shut it out of my brain only increases the nightmares.

so when i play lux it helps me revel in the knowledge that those days are behind me and never to return. a vivid figment that becomes more vague every year.

god bless LUX. it is something i can turn to on those sleepless, sweaty nights that nobody can really understand - not even me.
:shock:
I am reminded of my grandparents with #s tatto'ed on their arms during he holocaust....

May you find the peace of mind you so richly deserve, but until then at least find enough newbs to pwn...in my book you should be allowed 2 free asshats a night. ;)

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:42 pm

kude- in the urban dictionary, it is a word that means nothing. It was used as a nickname for me way back in 6th grade. it kinda...stuck.

Enzo1997
Lux Vacationer

Post by Enzo1997 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:17 pm

You can figure mine out unless you are well... silly.

engie
Lux Dynamo

Post by engie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:13 pm

Engie is short for engineer. Because I'm currently in chem engineering at my university.

Schroberts
Lux Veteran

Post by Schroberts » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:48 pm

My name in real life is Heather Roberts, but my first college ID for some reason had my name printed only as "Schroberts". Obviously, I found this hilarious, as did my friends. I've been known as Schrob to many people ever since.

mazza
Lux Sugar Daddy

Post by mazza » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:39 am

awesome story

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:54 pm

I wonder why McLovin' is available still...

Enzo1997
Lux Vacationer

Post by Enzo1997 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:01 am

Well, this isn't my username on lux, but it is on most sites

ToastyTHT

You may very well be thinking to your self "What the hell?"

It does have a backstory though, in 8th grade I started drawing for fun, and was trying to adapt a style.

One of the first characters I drew was a piece of Toast with a Christmas hat.
One person in class suggested I call it Toasty The Christmas Toast. I liked this, but instead decided to call it Toasty The Holiday Toast. I decided to make that my name on Skype. One of my friends yelled at me "Christ! Your name is too fecking long. So I decided to abbreviate it to ToatyTHT.

It stuck, and I made it my name on all other sites.

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:30 pm

how about Toasty The Holiday Cheer
and then for short you would have:
Toasty THC

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:38 am

You learn something new everyday:

* mnemosyne has joined ✱
n00less cluebie: NEMO!!!!!!!!!
n00less cluebie: Nemo, why are you now playing with name taint? I'm sure you have a nice one and all...
mnemosyne: er, that would be tanit, noodles
n00less cluebie: That's what I said...."Taint"
mnemosyne: patron goddess of carthage ;-)
n00less cluebie: XD
n00less cluebie: Hmmm, Taint is the Patron God of San Francisco
mnemosyne: lol
mnemosyne: i bet she is
n00less cluebie: She's FIERCE!
∞ mnemosyne knew i should have picked a different avatar ∞
∞ n00less cluebie would pay good money to see an avatar of Nemo's Taint ∞

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:19 pm

I chose my name (Rhye) because of one of Queen's first famous songs, "The Seven Seas of Rhye" (it is their earliest song that's featured on their Greatest Hits Album.)

I also like rye toast, and I'm familar with the rye whiskey (familar as in I've heard of it).

I am familar with the world famous "Rhye" from Civilization IV, but I did not call myself Rhye because of him..... I did it rather in spite of him. Despite the fact that another famous Rhye was already in existance..... I grew rather attached to the name. It was short and sweet, as they say. I like short and simple names...... and (in addition to that) it was fairly unique and ambiguous name. Therefore I decided to replace my old, tired name (and stats) with the name of Rhye.

Rigel
Lux Newbie

Post by Rigel » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:46 pm

When I first became a LUXer, I was reinvigorating my love of the stars. All of my aliases are names of stars. I fought with "Rigel" the most because...well....it's a fucking cool-ass star.....like me!

Cortes
Luxer

Post by Cortes » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:09 pm

i like the way he killed everybody in mexico?

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:26 am

i chose this particular name cause it pisses off white people... 8)

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:03 am

Shocking (guessed that one all by myself)
Last edited by nimrod7 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[MZK]Lightning
Lux Newbie

My name

Post by [MZK]Lightning » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:27 pm

Hey,

I chose the name [MZK]Lightning because it is my gamer name for the game Unreal Tournament.

I play for a predominantly UT99 clan called the Mad Zark Killers.

Milltycoon
Bagels with Lux

Post by Milltycoon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:11 am

My name is short for Millionaire Tycoon, which was the title ("The Millionaire Tycoons") of an early (1996) composition of mine. While the piece was sort of a mishmash of exercises, one of my inspirations while composing two of the movements were that each instrument would "breathe in its own privileged space" as though one might live in a mansion or a castle. I thus borrowed the term from the Parker Bros. "Game of Life" (the ca. 1977 version) where the prize at the end is that one becomes a millionaire tycoon. Since writing the piece, I have used the handle for several other websites.

Llama LluxaLlot
Llux Lliaison

Post by Llama LluxaLlot » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:42 pm

Bump for new people and vegetables and animals and other weirdos.

Meron
Luxative

Post by Meron » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:51 pm

well, my name is Meron, so...

BuyMoria
Luxer

Re: Lux Names: Why did you choose your particular name?

Post by BuyMoria » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:52 pm

My wife and I were watching "Chuck" at the time and he worked at the Buy More.

In Lord of the Rings (some of my favorites books/movies), they go through the Mines of Moria.

In Spanish "morir" means "to die".

It was the first thing I thought of. And since the game is about conquering the world, the word play with death I felt, was apropos.

trinkett
lux counsellor

Post by trinkett » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:54 pm

A trinket is a small decorative object, or a piece of jewellery that is cheap or of low quality .. sums me up really

I probably have one of the most obscure names in Lux .....here's why ...

Roab Trinkett was an anti hero in a short Science Fiction story that I wrote when i was young.
When i joined Lux and was thinking about a name, I didn't want to be a king, a prince or a general as it stinks of establishment... my anti hero trinkett is more of a revolutionary. A rebel inspired by characters from westerns like Josey Wales, modern characters like Archibald Tuttle from the film Brazil and Hans Solo. All though I'm now known as trink or knitter because trinkett was unceremoniously banished and exiled from the mainframe for beheading various luxtopian hierarchy.
More recently i read a translation of a chinese book called "the deer and the cauldron" by Jin Yong with the hero originally called Wei Xiaobao but translated as trinkett.
The novel is unique as its protagonist is different from those in Jin Yong's earlier novels. Wei Xiaobao is a greedy, lazy, womanising antihero, and neither a morally upright person nor a highly skilled martial artist. Jin Yong's other protagonists, such as Guo Jing and Chen Jialuo, live for noble causes, such as defending the homeland from foreign invasion and upholding justice. Wei's philosophy in life, conversely, is to indulge in all kinds of sensual delights and pleasures he can lay his hands on. However, although Wei may disagree with his friends' beliefs, he displays genuine loyalty and affection for them.
Actually, John Minford gives a pretty detailed reason for the "trinket" name in the translation..... He says that the original name meant "little treasure" and that was why he chose "trinket" as the synonym for "little treasure"...As an interesting fact, he does mention that when people became eunuchs in those times, the ...ahem...cutoff parts .. used to be carefully mummified and preserved .. and used to be called the eunuch's "little treasure"...
.... so trinkett is a mummified penis ..... yeah WHATEVER !!!!!!!!!!!!

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous
Location: Habitual board flippers should have their dice taken away.

Post by WhirlPlaid » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:21 pm

Great description Trink. I know I have clashed with you in the past, but I am stoked to have battled with you in Team Fire and happy to have you back amongst us.

Symbiosis
Lux Solicitor

Post by Symbiosis » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:25 am

Symbiosis is a biological relationship where one's natural inclination to aggressiveness is tempered by the possibility of mutual benefit :smt008

controleola
Lux Newbie
Location: County Seat Controleola, Wrong Island, New York, USA

Post by controleola » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:30 am

Do you really have to ask?

Jag
Lux Newbie

Post by Jag » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:25 pm

Jag.

It's a name I picked up when I had started going to church. The youth group grew a liking to me, and started calling me "Jack". I would always jokingly not reply because I wanted them to remember my real name, Jordan. Unfortunately, I was stuck with "Jack" for the longest time because of a church-video we came up with. In it, I acted as "Samurai Jack" and got hilariously attacked and defeated. So, after the hilarity, I suggested that "Jag" would sound much better. Plus, it still gave everyone who was a part of the film a good laugh in remembrance of "Jack" ;) It brings me a smile any time I hear someone call me by that name. 8)

Thanks for letting me share my story.

Centrico
Luxer

Post by Centrico » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:25 am

Because my underwear is so small I don't even miss it.