May the Force be with you

Of the people, by the people, for the people, for whatevs.
Kude
omni member

May the Force be with you

Post by Kude » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:24 pm

Anyone else get to grab up tickets already? I'm excited <3

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Re: May the Force be with you

Post by The Silken Knot » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:03 pm

Date night! I need to wait until after the 20th, so no spoilers here, please...

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:05 pm

A theatre near me is showing it on the 17th and I got tickets on the night they came out! I'm so excited

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:07 pm

Oh holy my gosh. Now look what you've done, Kude.

All Seven Movies, One Epic Journey.

:yoda :yoda :yoda

Owned
Lux Veteran
Location: Lair of Bane watching Schro put Symbi into tight attire

Post by Owned » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:26 pm

I rewatched Episodes I - VI. I just hope Disney does something cool with VII.

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:11 am

Wait so all 9 are not out already? I assumed that was all going down while I had small children and a real job. so, there are only 6?

okay; okay; nice. I am happy about this. it did not make sense to make a 10th movie. lol

nice that some actors are old now and are still in the same storyline

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous
Location: Habitual board flippers should have their dice taken away.

Post by WhirlPlaid » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:56 am

I don't have tickets, but I am excited about the movie. Wife and I will go. Son is only 6 so we are gonna wait one more year before we introduce the series into his life. I haven't rewatched the series but might try to squeeze that in before viewing the newest release.

Drifter
Semiholy Rambler
Location: An undisclosed location... for reasons of security, and therefore... insecurity...

Post by Drifter » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:36 pm

I'm prolly the biggest SW geek y'all know, and I've been waiting for all nine films to be completed since the late 70's/early 80's.

My folks took me to see A New Hope on opening night, so I had to see The Phantom Menace on opening day as well... so yea, I have my ticket for the 18th.

And it can't get here soon enough, cause I am really over every last retailer it seems putting out a SW based commercial.

sasquatch
Semiholy Beast

Post by sasquatch » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:52 pm

There are still A LOT of unanswered questions from episode IV that need answers...

:?

Drifter
Semiholy Rambler
Location: An undisclosed location... for reasons of security, and therefore... insecurity...

Post by Drifter » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:56 pm

WhirlPlaid wrote:I haven't rewatched the series but might try to squeeze that in before viewing the newest release.
Maybe this will save a little time for ya...

imapickle
is a pickle

Post by imapickle » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:21 am

Well i had a ticket for today but managed to oversleep and mssed it. Might try again tomorow.

I was a big fan of episodes 4 to 6 (which were always episodes 1 to 3 in my mind of course) when I was a kiddie. Practically knew return of the jedi off by heart.

Episodes 1 to 3 largely passed me by, but i feel a certain enthusiasm for this film, maybe because it has some of the old cast in it.

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:32 am

I'm really mad. Apparently their system fucked up and they sold me six tickets instead of the two I bought. The confirmation email, their website, and my bank all said I spent 26 dollars on my tickets, but I got three sets of two. If I had known, I totally would have sold the others. Oh well, the movie was fantastic! No spoilers, I promise

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:18 pm

SPOILERS BELOW - IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE FORCE AWAKENS, BUT STILL PLAN TO, GO NO FURTHER

So let me get this straight:

It is a time of strife in the galaxy. A band of brave resistance fighters struggles against an evil militaristic authority - let's call it the "empire" - with a mighty space fleet. On a sparsely-inhabited, desolate, inhospitable desert planet, we meet HERO #1 - a lonely young orphan, trapped in a tedious life and unhappily toiling, longing for escape.

Resistance spies have acquired valuable information, but are hotly pursued by an "empire" warship carrying the main BAD GUY - a ruthless force-wielding villain in a black mask and robes. Knowing capture is imminent, a brave spy hides the secret file in a droid, which is turned loose on the surface of the desert planet. The BAD GUY theatrically kills another resistance member, and orders his stormtroopers to massacre innocent civilians.

It's clear that the BAD GUY is often at odds with the commander and other officers of the military ship, and in scenes where he confers with his boss, we see a strange-looking semi-human creature… but only as a hologram.  Boss drops hints about the Skywalker family being a real problem for their plans. BAD GUY often has trouble controlling his anger as his unlucky subordinates fail to find the secret information.

HERO#1, by lucky chance, acquires the fugitive droid, and they soon meet reluctant HERO#2, a scrappy fighter with a checkered past but a kind heart. They are introduced to the (apparently mostly forgotten) history of the force, the empire, and the rebellion by a MENTOR - an aging warrior, a grizzled veteran of the galaxy who knows truths about the past that they do not.

The droid reveals to them the secret info, and they immediately realize how important is it that it be delivered to the resistance leaders. Despite having been out of the game for years, MENTOR decides it's time for him to try once more to help save the galaxy. Fights, chases and escapes ensue, and we see that HERO#1 has some unsuspected skills and abilities. They all wind up on a ship HERO#1 refers to as trash - the Millennium Falcon.

We are treated to a party-like scene in a large compound full of strange beings of many species, complete with alien band… and we meet an ancient, tiny, but wise old creature who furthers HERO#1's education of the force, including some mystical hallucinations.

It soon turns out that the "empire" has built - get this - an enormous spherical space station / weapon, capable of destroying entire planets with a huge focused energy beam - which it proceeds to do. One of the main characters is captured and interrogated, but the others carry out a reckless and poorly-planned rescue… which, of course, works.

Our heroes end up at resistance HQ, where they are welcomed and seem to become inordinately important… just in time for the planet-killer to find and target the resistance planet. They make a plan, requiring 1) x-wing fighters to attack a lightly defended weak spot on the station AND 2) a small team to break in and lower the force field. Significant sneaking around on the space station follows.

MENTOR and BAD GUY go way back - they used to be close before BAD GUY turned to the Dark Side. BAD GUY, using his force powers, can sense the presence of MENTOR, and after a tense confrontation, dripping with the years of history and emotional baggage between them, BAD GUY kills MENTOR with his lightsaber as our HEROES watch.

Eventually, the unlikely attack works, HERO#1 succeeds at using the force in battle, and the giant weapon-station blows up. BAD GUY, however, escapes, and HERO#1 heads off to find an EVEN MORE LEGENDARY MENTOR, thus setting the stage for the next film.

WOW - it's like NOTHING WE'VE EVER SEEN BEFORE. :lol:

Mrs. Regia was PISSED. Bitterly disappointed, and I mean threatening-to-walk-out-in-the-middle pissed. I can understand why.

I enjoyed it... but seriously? Another desert planet? Another orphan jedi-in-the rough? Another Death Star? Not even gonna TRY for something new?

I can only hope now that the old and new characters are connected, we'll see some new plot elements in episode 8.

Edited to add a few more details to the synopsis.
Last edited by AquaRegia on Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Symbiosis
Lux Solicitor

Post by Symbiosis » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:05 pm

:mrgreen: So happy with this synopsis Mr Regia

Owned
Lux Veteran

Post by Owned » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:35 pm

Yeah... they tried way too hard to match A New Hope.

I hope they mix things up for the next one. Will there be an even bigger planet-weapon next? :P

I hope Kylo Ren takes a back seat later on. He came off as extremely weak in this movie. He gets cut by Finn when Finn has used a lightsaber (with no training) for a grand total of 15 minutes. Perhaps Finn has force powers that helped guide his saber? There were screams playing while the camera was focused on Finn during the First Order's destruction of the Republic. I don't know, Kylo Ren just didn't seem that menacing. He was outright beat in a force battle and lightsaber battle by Rey. I hope he is the Darth Maul of this series, or even better, he is just Kylo Ren and they find new plot points! :P

Symbiosis
Lux Solicitor

Post by Symbiosis » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:57 pm

I agree with your take on Kylo Ren Owned. I hate the casting for him, not believable as a dark lord or even a powerful jedi masquerading as a dark lord. And he's not written as a strong character besides. Much less menacing than Darth Vader. Overall just one more reason why this movie, despite being a great viewing experience, is just a watered-down New Hope.

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:25 pm

bummer

sasquatch
Semiholy Beast

Post by sasquatch » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:08 pm

What a gyp...
:deadhorse

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:14 pm

Owned wrote:I hope Kylo Ren takes a back seat later on. He came off as extremely weak in this movie.
I thought the same thing, but I think they saved face a bit when, after his defeat, Supreme Guy remarked that he still needed more training, or something to that effect. It gave me the impression that Kylo Ren was less of a n00b and more of a newb, if you catch my drift.

As far as the similarities to A New Hope go, I think I can look past them—or rather I expect that I will be able to once the story is fully completed. If we see Episode VII as a sort of "foil" to A New Hope, then what we should be focusing on is the differences between the two trilogies—what other reason is there to make them so similar other than to highlight the differences? (I'm being an optimist and ignoring the more obvious "nostalgia" and "selling tickets" factors.)

Owned
Lux Veteran

Post by Owned » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:18 am

Rhye wrote:I thought the same thing, but I think they saved face a bit when, after his defeat, Supreme Guy remarked that he still needed more training, or something to that effect. It gave me the impression that Kylo Ren was less of a n00b and more of a newb, if you catch my drift.
Yeah I saw that, but I already view him as a weakling now. At the very beginning on Jakuu he was quite intimidating (holding the blaster shot in the air was sweet), but it kinda fell apart. To be honest, if they just kept his mask on, he coulda been much more menacing. There were a couple moments where I thought he was going to cry. Not exactly how the previous Star Wars shaped the Sith to be.

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:59 am

I'm more or less in agreement with most of your thoughts. Daisy Ridley was amazing, John Boyega was solid, and Adam Driver was a bit disappointing - but we can hope that he'll get a better plot in the next film. I appreciate that they want him to be conflicted, and that he's still young and needs more training.

In retrospect, the "to do list" was obvious: 1) show everyone we can make a SW movie that looks like 1977-83 and NOT like 1999-2005; 2) connect the old characters to the new characters; 3) make $1B . I'm optimistic that NOW we will see some cool new ideas in the next two films; hopefully some unexpected plot twists that astonish us, yet still feel "right". There are an AWFUL lot of plot holes in this film... I hope they get filled with creative and logical explanations, rather than forgotten or glossed over.

My favorite internet speculation right now is the incest hypothesis:

http://geekculture.co/star-wars-reys-ba ... now-about/

I LOVE the line "We applaud Disney for exploring incest as a new plot mechanic for selling toys." ROFL

sasquatch
Semiholy Beast

Post by sasquatch » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:16 am

Sends a shitty message that you need to be part of the royal family to have real power too... I was hoping (hehe, get it?) for more renegade characters and less royal blood lineage nonsense. Note to Lawrence Kasdan, people still remember things clearly after 30+ years... that includes your audience and the characters in the Star Wars universe.

:pop