BREXIT

Of the people, by the people, for the people, for whatevs.
camaro
Lux Demon

BREXIT

Post by camaro » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:42 pm

imapickle
is a pickle

Re: BREXIT

Post by imapickle » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:08 am

Having run a campaign based on lies and nonsense, triggered the likely breakdown of the United Kingdom and northern ireland peace process, caused financial ruin and delivered the country even more into the hands of Rupert Murdoch et al than it was before, he now decides to resign. What with that and Boris Johnson dropping out of the leadership contest we are in a funny situation where those who should be taking most responsibility for the mess are disappearing from the scene.

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:19 am

People are heading to the polls to choose whether to remain in the 28-nation bloc, but rain showers and massive flooding have caused logistical chaos for voters, potentially preventing thousands from casting their vote.

This is particularly bad news for the “remain” campaign, which has been scrambling in the final days before the referendum to galvanize its more apathetic supporters to come out and vote.

The latest polls show a neck-and-neck split between the two camps, with a slight edge for "remain." But according to YouGov pollsters, supporters of the “leave” campaign are unlikely to be deterred, come hell or high water
I wonder if the Brexit might have been averted if the rain had been less or the sun had been shining that day... :panic:

camaro
Lux Demon

Post by camaro » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:57 pm

gotta love democracy... when the average man/woman.. hurt by brussels bureaucratic bullshit say no more... no you can't tell us how many syrians refugees will be placed in england, no you can tell us how many fish we can harvest in our seas, no you can't tell us what to teach our children.... pretty much britain told the EU what we told britain in 1776... long live the queen

camaro
Lux Demon

Post by camaro » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:59 pm

well since remain lost by 1.3 million votes naraku... i would say no a rain storm didn't cause them to lose... how absurd LOL

camaro
Lux Demon

Post by camaro » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:02 pm

BTW pickle isnt being awashed in unpayable debt the definition of financial ruin? if it's not what is?

camaro
Lux Demon

Post by camaro » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:04 pm

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:20 pm

the voters were LIED to! Imagine that.

Rue Britania <----- NSFW (language)

I wonder if they held the Brexit vote now which side would win. I think it is a mistake for the UK to leave the EU. They are an important part of it now and will be spending years negotiating new treaties with the rest of Europe. I wish all of the English well but hope they come to their senses before it is to late. :panic:

imapickle
is a pickle

Post by imapickle » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:20 pm

Here is Prof Michael Dougan again, this time talking post-referendum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dosmKwrAbI
Naraku wrote:I wish all of the English well but hope they come to their senses before it is to late.
Thanks Naraku.
camaro wrote:BTW pickle isnt being awashed in unpayable debt the definition of financial ruin? if it's not what is?
I may have got a bit carried away in talking about economic disaster. But the economy has certainly taken quite a big hit.

I am no economics expert but I am pretty sure that the issue of national debt and govornment borrowing works drastically differently to that of personal debt. It is not clear to me at all that maintaining a strong economy has anything to do with balancing the books and reducing the deficit. Maybe the system ought to be such that that becomes true, but I am not sure it is true in the current global capitalist system. The problems in southern europe is that they have smaller economies and bad credit ratings which allows the northern countries to impose ideological market liberalisation on them whilst effectively maintaining protectionism for themselves. This situation whereby loans are used as a means of economic domination is played out within the EU but is not unique to it - the same thing has been going on on a global scale- there too the divide is largely north-south and it is a bigger one, whereby countries in Africa and South America have been essentially plundered.

The real reason why there is so much friction between the British establishment and the EU is because the former want to maintain the City of London as one of the most underregulated financial centres in the world, so preserving a big economy based largely on buying and selling of arcane and intangible financial products. This is hard to sell to the public, because none of this wealth is trickling down to them, so spurious reasons were invented to encourage us to be hostile to the EU. However, the idea was just to create antipathy so as to scare the rest of the EU into granting us special exemptions etc. The last thing these guys actually wanted was to actually leave. A narrow win for remain was what the financial sector, Cameron and Johnson all wanted. The only people who seem to be genuinely benefiting from the leave result are Rupert Murdoch and some of the more extreme ideological Tories/UKIPers. The idea, that all these machinations have anything to do with what is best for the ordinary working man or woman in the street, is something I find hard to believe.

*edited for spelling and capitalisations

camaro
Lux Demon

Post by camaro » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:20 pm