PLS

Of the people, by the people, for the people, for whatevs.
hoodie
Burning Man

PLS

Post by hoodie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:16 pm

Longtime luxer and all around beautiful person PLS passed away this weekend after an extended illness. In my last conversations with him about two months ago he was in good spirits and readying for what was coming and, as always, looking out for others. I can truly and honestly say he made the world a better place and celebrate his life and all that he did with it.

Love out to this kind and wonderful man.

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

expression of condolence

Post by GFips » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:19 pm

I was shocked when I read this.
PLS was a longtime luxer and horable member of the community here.
He was always a great player and a real gentlemen. I always enjoyed to play with him.
It is always a tragedy if something like that happens. It is hard to comprehend, our thoughts and prayers are with his dependants and friends in real life. PLS - WE WILL KEEP YOU IN MIND! Thanks all for the time you shared here with us.

Packman
Loves his dice!

Re: PLS

Post by Packman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:28 pm

I came here today as I found out over the weekend. He will be missed. Thanks hoodie for honoring him!

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:35 pm

RogueMonk
Lux Addict

Post by RogueMonk » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:26 am

I never had the pleasure of playing PLS. Nonetheless, I offer my condolences to those who did.

Also,
paranoiarodeo sends his condolences.

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:33 pm

My condolences. I wish his family and friends the best.

sasquatch
Semiholy Beast

Post by sasquatch » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:56 pm

He was one of the good guys... no skool is like the old skool.

General K
Lux KAPITALIST

Post by General K » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:52 am

Thank you for the 19 games we played together... wish it was more.
May you rest in peace my lux friend.

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:29 am

Just reading this now. I'm really sorry to hear about this. Thank you Hoodie for sharing this somber news with the rest of us lurkers.

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:13 pm

Well, this is saddening news. I don't know whether he believed in an Afterlife or not, but if he did: IN PLS!
:(

Big Will E Style
RAW Dogger

Post by Big Will E Style » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:30 pm

Sorry to hear about PLS' passing. Condolences to those of you who knew him.

Baden
Lux Elder

Post by Baden » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:56 pm

Sad to hear that. I met him in 235 games since 2004. He was probably the most sympathetic player I ever met. His real name was Paul Swearingen.

I quote him (2008): "I've spent hours chatting with him (sc. Baden), sometimes with no one else in the game, and exchanging e-mails in which we spoke of literature and other cultural icons."

Yes we were good friends and I always wished to meet this gifted and modest man in person.

Tears in my eyes ...

Baden
Lux Elder

Post by Baden » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:10 pm

I think it illustrates what PLS meant by "we spoke of literature" if I qoute a Mail he sent me 2008:

We discussed about Science Fiction Literature. I was never a fan of but he tried to convince me:

"Subject: Some science fiction writers for you

"I recommend these for starters ...

First, the Big Three: Arthur C. Clarke (my personal favorite) - start with "Childhood's End" and "Against the Fall of Night" or any collection of his short stories; he's most famous for "2001 - a Space Odyssey", but it's not his best work

Robert A. Heinlein - many of his early novels were juvenile fiction, but later novels like "Friday" were very serious works

Isaac Asimov - very prolific author; the "Foundation" trilogy is a good starting place. He wrote many popular non-fiction works, too

Then, the most lyrical and "literary" of them all: Ray Bradbury - "Fahrenheit 451", "Dandelion Wine", and "The Martian Chronicles" are must-reads

Another "literary" SF (NEVER call it "sci-fi", which pertains more to space opera like "Star Wars" and "Star Trek") giant: Harlan Ellison

Some older writers who were pioneers: Cyril Kornbluth, A. E. van Vogt, Stanley G. Weinbaum, and of course Jules Verne and H. G. Wells, if you want to go back to the very beginning of the genre

More modern masters (from the '70's and on): Walter M. Miller ("A Canticle for Leibowitz" is rather prophetic); Larry Niven ("Ringworld"), Frederick Pohl, Somtow Sucharitkul (a Thai), and a native Kansas writer, Lee Killough, also one of my favorites.

There are many others, but the above are quite readable and enjoyable, for starters. Nearly all of them wrote short stories, and you should be able to find short-story collections for starters, if you just want to sample their writings -Paul Swearingen, Topeka"

Baden
Lux Elder

Post by Baden » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:15 pm

And forgive me if I quote another mail exchange with PLS. It is touching because he referred to his youth as a teenager:

"Hi pls,

thanks for the quick response. Quite a lot to consider and I am sure I will find some considerable stuff. Asimov and Bradbury are familiar names, since I worked as a bookseller for many years.

After you left, some kind of SF came to my mind. It is "Invasion Literature":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_literature

I read " When William came" with a smile. It is not Saki's best work, but the one that reveals most about history.

Cheers

Baden>>

Hi, Baden ... somewhat similar to "Invasion Literature" is "End-of-the-World" SF, mostly popular in the '50's when the USA was fearful of the USSR's power, and only a few years after "the bomb" became a reality.

A few authors and titles that come to mind:

Pat Frank - "Alas, Babylon"
Philip Wylie - "Tomorrow!"
Nevil Shute (another of my favorite authors) - "On the Beach"
Don Robertson - "The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread"

Quite a few SF authors deal with this subject as survival of the human race years after "the bomb" has been dropped, pushing civilization back to a much more primitive stage, but the above four SF novels deal with "the bomb" before and and after it happens. Interestingly, the last three authors that I listed were not primarily SF writers, especially Nevil Shute, who wrote only the one SF novel which of course was wildly popular and made into a movie.

Yes, I read way too much SF when I was a teenager ...

BTW my very favorite author is Jan de Hartog, the Dutch novelist who wrote his first novel in Dutch and then switched to English. Possibly his best-known book is "The Peaceable Kingdom", which traces his religion, Quakerism, through the ages. But perhaps the most skillful and funniest novel I've ever read is "Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter" by the Peruvian novelist Mario Vargas Llosa, who almost became Peru's president. At least I do read widely nowadays! -pls.

Baden
Lux Elder

Post by Baden » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:35 pm

Last remark:

I posted this in order to show that Lux may be beside the battle a place of peace, mutual understanding and making friends.

We honor and will miss a gifted and intellectual member of the community who has contributed a lot. He was always a friendly and peaceful person.

RIP

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:31 am

PLS was the type of person who you always enjoyed playing with. Wherever he is I am sure that place is better with him in it, RIP.

Lantern
Lux Superhero

Post by Lantern » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:53 pm

🙁 Very sorry to hear about PLS. Great person and honorable luxer

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:42 pm

Sad news. Thanks for letting us know hoodie. He will definitely be missed.