To Betrand about Reaper

AI discussion, ideas, and SDK help.
BDF
Luxer

To Betrand about Reaper

Post by BDF » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:56 pm

I have made this new map, which is really big. Reaper is one of my favourite bots, and im not used to seeing him lose, but he takes ages to make a move and he loses against other trash bots like Communist and Yakool. I mean wtf, reaper is the best bot there is. (He still wins relatively often, but a lot less)
It must have something to do with the size of the map, he can't cope.

BDF
Luxer

Post by BDF » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:00 pm

im watching reaper play the map now against the other bots. Hes winning this time, but its 7 mins since he last moved

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:05 pm

That's not normal Reaper behavior, but then again I have not seen your map.

Is it bigger that "The dark ages"? On that one Reaper plays pretty quickly.

There might be something wrong with your map, something that trips up Reaper. Is there something in the log file, like a stack trace? Just look for the string "Reaper@" in the log file. If you find that, it would explain why he plays poorly. Email it to me, or post it here.

Also, I will be submitting a new version in a few days, that plays much better on large maps. Maybe it will make a difference.

BDF
Luxer

Post by BDF » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:15 pm

the map has something like 1500 countries... its A LOT bigger than the dark ages. Something between 80 to 100 continents too.
its probably just the sheer size, hes got to think...makes him more human :wink:

BDF
Luxer

Post by BDF » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:17 pm

the other bots are beginning to clog up too now.

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:26 pm

1500 countries? No wonder Reaper is slow. He looks at everything, considers every possibility, and the number of combinations rises exponentially as you increase the countries and continents.

I designed him to play reasonably quickly on any "practical" map. What you are doing is extreme, and I'm not sure people will be interested in playing it more than once, since the games will take a looooong time.

BDF
Luxer

Post by BDF » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:28 pm

...what exactly do you mean by stack trace?
Last edited by BDF on Fri May 18, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BDF
Luxer

Post by BDF » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:30 pm

the game is quite quick paced, but the bots have trouble with its size

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:35 pm

BombDiggityFresh wrote:by the way, im kind of a newb... what exactly do you mean by stack trace?
A stack trace is something that documents an error in a java program - it tell us programmers where the error occurred, and what the program was doing.

They are written in the Lux log file: C:\Program Files\Lux\Support\log.txt in Windows.

BDF
Luxer

Post by BDF » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:49 pm

Another suggestion for your bot. Its good that he avoids taking negative bonuses, and doesn't fortify them and stuff. Sometimes that means that he leaves a small "island" deep in his territory, where u can drop a load of reinforcments and pop his continents.
You should try to get reaper to work out a compromise between how many units he would need to defend from a negative bonus like that, and how many units he will be losing each turn if he takes the negative bonus. Also get him to asses the risk of leaving a territory like that deep behind his front lines
Also, the feature which prevents him from fortifying negative bonuses means that sometimes there are big units just sitting there, because reaper won't move them across the bonus continent

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:40 pm

Good ideas. I'll look into this when your map gets published. Normally negative continents are small, and you seem to have made them really big.

But, as Preacherman said, we AI programmers are lazy, and perfecting negative continents logic represents a lot of work for few benefits because there are few maps that use them. Right now Reaper handles them well enough when they are small.

BDF
Luxer

Post by BDF » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:56 am

P.S. The negative continents on my map are not big, they are between 1 to 8 countries. And i tested reaper on the castle maps, that is where i saw him too scared to cross the bridge.
It was on the random map generator... if that helps

BDF
Luxer

Post by BDF » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:55 am

also im not sure if reaper has this feature, but a strategy which I use and i think most other people do too is to keep your border length to a minimum (for defense), even if it is sometimes at the cost of taking over a small negative bonus or retreating one country.
This feature should definately not stop him from "encroaching" on other continents like humans do, but should allow him easier defense. If you don't know exactly what i mean just ask, because i find kind of hard to explain

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:36 pm

BombDiggityFresh wrote:And i tested reaper on the castle maps, that is where i saw him too scared to cross the bridge.
If Reaper doesn't cross the bridge, it's because he finds nothing interesting on the other side. He will not hesitate to cross it to take over a continent, terminate a player or pop a border.
BombDiggityFresh wrote:...keep your border length to a minimum...
Er, what? I don't quite follow. An example would help.

BDF
Luxer

Post by BDF » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:15 pm

1. (Reaper on the Castle maps) - the neighbouring continent on the other side of the bridge was already occupied by reaper. But whatever code it is that stops him fortifying negative bonuses stoped him from moving his units across the bridge, probably because that would mean he would have to fortify it temporarily.
2. Keep border length to a minimum for defense - (im not sure how else to put this really). Basically sometimes it is worth taking over a negative bonus (doesn't have to be negative though) where there will be one country to defend in the end, than it would be defending 3 countries which border the negative continent. This is because you could have 90 units sitting alltogether in one country rather than having the units spread over 3 countries (i.e. 30 units in each country in this case). Having the units spread out makes it easier to pop his continents.

...by the way, if i am annoying u with all these posts just say so

Black Pope
Lux Exorcist

Post by Black Pope » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:16 pm

so

BDF
Luxer

Post by BDF » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:19 pm

lol, ur a funny guy pope... so so so

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:38 pm

BombDiggityFresh wrote:1. (Reaper on the Castle maps) - the neighbouring continent on the other side of the bridge was already occupied by reaper. But whatever code it is that stops him fortifying negative bonuses stoped him from moving his units across the bridge, probably because that would mean he would have to fortify it temporarily.
OK I think I understand what you mean here. This is called a locked border, and Reaper 5.0 does not understand them. I made a fix for this weakness in the next version.
BombDiggityFresh wrote: 2. Keep border length to a minimum for defense - (im not sure how else to put this really). Basically sometimes it is worth taking over a negative bonus (doesn't have to be negative though) where there will be one country to defend in the end, than it would be defending 3 countries which border the negative continent. This is because you could have 90 units sitting alltogether in one country rather than having the units spread over 3 countries (i.e. 30 units in each country in this case). Having the units spread out makes it easier to pop his continents.
I get it now. This is not simple to implement, so it won't be in the next version. Perhaps later. Maybe.
BombDiggityFresh wrote: ...by the way, if i am annoying u with all these posts just say so
When I'm annoyed it is very obvious: I just will stop responding to your posts.... Indifference is a very powerful weapon.
Black Pope wrote:so
Brillant answer. Economy of expression to the max. You scare me sometimes. Remind me to never become your enemy.

Scad
Lux Elder

Post by Scad » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:14 am

Bertrand wrote:REAPER
Remind me never to become your enemy...

Syzygy
Luxer

Post by Syzygy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:44 pm

Bertrand wrote: Indifference is a very powerful weapon.
But who would care?

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:59 pm

No one would. That's the point.

BDF
Luxer

Post by BDF » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:49 pm

I noticed 2 things about ur new reaper.
1. It turns into jelly when you truce with him (u probably know that)
2. It has difficulty on maps with lots of dead-end countrys, like RandomGuy's Amazon map.

A few tips which might help make reaper even more scary

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:47 pm

BombDiggityFresh wrote:1. It turns into jelly when you truce with him (u probably know that)
Yeah I forgot to test alliances with Reaper 6.0. He completely stops playing once you enter into one.

I fixed this problem in version 6.1, and sent it to Dustin yesterday. It should soon be available in the plugin manager.
BombDiggityFresh wrote:2. It has difficulty on maps with lots of dead-end countrys, like RandomGuy's Amazon map.
So many maps, so little time ....

There is some code in Reaper to detect dead-ends, but I never tried this map. What happens exactly?

BDF
Luxer

Post by BDF » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:42 pm

Bertrand wrote:
BombDiggityFresh wrote:1. It turns into jelly when you truce with him (u probably know that)
Yeah I forgot to test alliances with Reaper 6.0. He completely stops playing once you enter into one.

I fixed this problem in version 6.1, and sent it to Dustin yesterday. It should soon be available in the plugin manager.
BombDiggityFresh wrote:2. It has difficulty on maps with lots of dead-end countrys, like RandomGuy's Amazon map.
So many maps, so little time ....

There is some code in Reaper to detect dead-ends, but I never tried this map. What happens exactly?
On most maps, reaper does those rabbid attacks on cities or small continents with high bonuses (which makes him hard and annoying). On the Amazon map, he pretty much turtled most of the time, getting a few cards, and cashing them in. It might have been an anomaly, but the only time he seemed to take one of the cities was to get a card and the player was in its way.

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:43 am

Tried the amazon map, and sometimes Reaper builds up an invading force on a dead-end, locking him out of the action. He is not turtling exactly, because he still gets cards. He needs to place his armies more intelligently.

Nice find.

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Sat May 12, 2007 9:20 am

A small update to Reaper, version 6.2, is now available. He avoids building up armies on locked dead-end countries now. This make him much better on the amazon map, and probably on all the other maps also to a lesser extent.

There was also an intermittent bug that prevented him from placing all of his armies sometimes, maybe affecting one game in ten. This is fixed in version 6.2.

Sylocat
Lux Veteran

Post by Sylocat » Sat May 12, 2007 4:04 pm

I believe my wife hates me and others, including myself, have already asked this, but I'll ask it again: Why in the world do we want you to make Reaper even tougher?

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Sat May 12, 2007 7:40 pm

Why do I want to make Reaper tougher?

Because I can.
Because I want to.
Because He is not tough enough.
Because you like it.

Sylocat
Lux Veteran

Post by Sylocat » Sat May 12, 2007 11:53 pm

I know why YOU want to make him tougher, I'm asking why so many of US want you to make him tougher. :D

BDF
Luxer

Post by BDF » Sun May 13, 2007 2:58 pm

about your latest reaper... im not sure he can tell anymore when it has been backstabbed. I made a rabbid attack on him when we were allied and he continued to hit the other bots and not care about me. Just check it out