Testing with the Stargate map

AI discussion, ideas, and SDK help.
varoadstter
Luxer

Testing with the Stargate map

Post by varoadstter » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:25 am

Wow, I installed this map last night and played a bunch of games with it. It's near perfect for a test bench for what I want my bot to be able to do well. It's balanced, it has lots of strategic points, and Reaper absolutely crushes on it. In fact, watching Reaper cut through the AI compeitition game after game (I used BotOfDoom, Nefarious, Sparrow, Brainiac, and Killbot for opposition) gave me an entirely new level of respect for how well it plays. Time and again I would think it was going to get overrun due to a lack of taking and holding a continent when it was early and easilly defendable but then it would just sneak in from behind and assassinate the other players one by one. It was fascinating.

Anyway, if you haven't looked at that map I highly reccomend it.

3DA
Luxtopian

Post by 3DA » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:16 pm

I agree: Bertrand gets big, big ups for Reaper. It is a remarkably versatile and resilient bot.

I'll have to try the Stargate map. I've never played it. :)

my wife hates me
Lux Elder

Post by my wife hates me » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:24 pm

In case you didn't know, Reaper is also a teaming bot. Put 2 or 3 on a map and try to win.

**disclaimer - Bertrand is not responsible for anything you might put through your monitor in your feeble attempts to beat 3 teaming Reapers with high card settings.

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Re: Testing with the Stargate map

Post by Bertrand » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:28 am

Thanks for the praise everyone. This thread made my day.
varoadstter wrote:Time and again I would think it was going to get overrun due to a lack of taking and holding a continent when it was early and easilly defendable but then it would just sneak in from behind and assassinate the other players one by one.
Deciding between going for the kill or going for continents is one of the most critical decisions an AI has to take. Choosing to take over continents will make you a less efficient killer, and vice-versa. It all depends on the settings (card progression, continent bonus increase, map size), the phase of the game (begin, middle, end), and how the AI is doing against the other players.