Community Bot

AI discussion, ideas, and SDK help.
botulin
Lux Newbie

Community Bot

Post by botulin » Fri May 21, 2010 12:36 pm

I wanted to float the idea of a Community designed bot to see if there was any interest among the forum goers.

While thinking about bots today and their possible design, it occurred to me that some people in the Lux community might have ideas about how to best design a bot but maybe not the coding expertise to implement it. Others might have the coding expertise but not the time to code the bot and do a proper design job to make sure it is competitive.

So what I am proposing is a new open source bot designed by the community. The idea being that the code for the bot be hosted at bitbucket.com and its design be done here in the forum by anyone with an idea.

The downside is that designing a decent bot has the potential to be quite complicated. I think we can break it down into easy bite size pieces that should be easy for everyone to contribute.

For example, I think the most obvious starting point is placing armies and deciding where to focus attention on for gaining a continent. I figure this should be fairly straight forward to do using a home-made equation which takes into account:
  • * Number of borders the continent has
    * The continents income
    * Number of your troops in the continent
    * Number of other troops in the continent
    * Number of troops near by (using a diminishing scale based on distance away)
Any ideas on how to best combine these numbers to come up with a score for each continent? Anyone interested in this idea at all?

Just so you know, I fall into the second category - I have the coding expertise to make it happen, but don't really have the time to dedicate to it so that it is a very competitive bot. The idea here is too beat reaper.