BORING: Is there an archive of Risk games anywhere?

AI discussion, ideas, and SDK help.
Sophrosyne
Luxer

BORING: Is there an archive of Risk games anywhere?

Post by Sophrosyne » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi there,

I'm doing a bit of research on Risk classic and I was wondering if there is a large archive of Risk games lying around anywhere, preferably without computer opponents in them?

This is my first post, so I guess I should say hi. I used to play Risk every now and again with my family, but never that competitively (as opposed to chess, which I play very competitively), so reading some posts on this forum has really opened my eyes to the level of detail people are playing to.

I'm also coding a Risk game for a project (just as a platform for the computer opponents really) and I've been thinking about the game for the last couple of weeks so I may be posting complicated questions in the future. I'll start the subject title with BORING so that you know to avoid it if you're not that bothered.

So I've been programming a simple Risk computer opponent for a couple of weeks and, as a side project, I'm interested in churning some data through a neural network to create a computer opponent that makes decisions based on the average of moves made by winners over a large collection of games.

I know that there are very different styles of play and that averaging two completely different styles of play would be pointless, but I'd like to give it a go if the data is available.

Many thanks,

Sophrosyne

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:32 pm

Hey Sophrosyne,
Do you know about the Lux SDK? It provides a tested platform to code AIs for, which then can be played in Lux. Check it out.

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:33 pm

The game results are archived here, but I don't think actual moves are recorded like you would be used to seeing as a chess player. Plenty of smarter people around here may know otherwise, but I'm pretty sure that kind of data isn't available for games here.

Sophrosyne
Luxer

Post by Sophrosyne » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:41 pm

Hey dustin,

I have downloaded the lux SDK, but I've chosen to code the game myself as part of the project (since it'll mean more marks and as an exercise). I'm happy to share my code if anyone is interested, although it's a bit of a mess at the moment.

Sophrosyne
Luxer

Post by Sophrosyne » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Yea this was a bit of a long shot to be honest, but worth a try. Plus I'd rather get data from good players than just running hundreds of simulations.

Marauder
Midnight Luxer

Post by Marauder » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:55 pm

Look for a player named Darth Casey, he will give you all the information you need on good play ... and then some.

That is an inside joke. If you make a post with direct questions regarding the strategy you need specifically, I am sure people would be happy to provide insight.