Reaper, KillBot - Considered Hard?

AI discussion, ideas, and SDK help.
CautiousChaos
Lux Newbie

Reaper, KillBot - Considered Hard?

Post by CautiousChaos » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:53 pm

Yes, a foolish n00b question. I've been playing against the bots on medium and win about 40% of the time.

Soon I'll be graduating to the hard levels. My question is about the bots in this forum - reaper, sparrow, botofdoom - are they considered in the 'hard' difficulty? If so, how do they compare to the existing bots at that level?

Having fun - any insight is appreciated...
-cc

Dang
Luxer

Post by Dang » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:05 am

They are generally harder than the "hard" bots. Basically Reaper is Killbot on Steroids, Nefarious is well, nefarious, Bot of Doom lives to kill humans.

The above desciptions are over simplified, but you get the idea, check out the Wiki under the online menu for more info.

GregM
Luxer

Post by GregM » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:28 pm

When we bot-makers take the time to code a new bot for Lux, we try to do it right and make one better than the built-in bots. We certainly hope they're stronger than mere "hard" bots! :wink:

Sir Holo
Old Skool Lurker

Re: Reaper, KillBot - Considered Hard?

Post by Sir Holo » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:27 pm

CautiousChaos wrote:Soon I'll be graduating to the hard levels. My question is about the bots in this forum - reaper, sparrow, botofdoom - are they considered in the 'hard' difficulty? If so, how do they compare to the existing bots at that level?
If you start having too much success beating the bots, try mixing it up a bit. Throw in a Communist or an Angry, along with some of the more strategic bots, and you'll have no end of fun learning how to "drive" the lesser bots using your army placement.

Good exploitation of a Communist can save you tons of income you'd otherwise spend defending a border.

Dang
Luxer

Post by Dang » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:44 pm

I agree sir holo. On Bamburg last week I used trotsky more than once to blocka bridge and Bort can come in handy on castle maps if a player starts to get too powerful. Reaper on the other hand is just a true pain in the ass. That's why I like him best :)

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:31 pm

CautiousChaos wrote:Yes, a foolish n00b question. I've been playing against the bots on medium and win about 40% of the time.

Soon I'll be graduating to the hard levels. My question is about the bots in this forum - reaper, sparrow, botofdoom - are they considered in the 'hard' difficulty? If so, how do they compare to the existing bots at that level?

Having fun - any insight is appreciated...
-cc
You should try a game with a Reaper and a BotOfDoom - the two best bots IMHO.

I did a few quick tests in 4-6-8-10-15 10% games:

against 5 easy bots, Reaper wins 94% of the time;
against 5 medium bots, Reaper wins 85% of the time;
against 5 hard bots, Reaper wins 77% of the time.

Of course, high cards games are Reaper's forte. In lower cards games Sparrow is pretty good also.
Dang wrote:Reaper on the other hand is just a true pain in the ass. That's why I like him best
Yes. Fear the Reaper.

I noticed that in games with experienced players, Reaper is often killed first: they know how dangerous he can be.

CautiousChaos
Lux Newbie

Post by CautiousChaos » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:50 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the great information! I'm going to give them a go tomorrow. Played a few games tonight on the Shrooms map... Had a good deal of fun on the last game where the shift of power changed hands many, many times during the game.

Good stuff!
-cc

BDF
Luxer

Post by BDF » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:24 pm

Bertrand wrote:Yes. Fear the Reaper.

I noticed that in games with experienced players, Reaper is often killed first: they know how dangerous he can be.
LOL - poor reaper

enjoymoreradio
Lux Addict

Post by enjoymoreradio » Thu May 31, 2007 5:27 pm

Reaper is so dangerous (IMO at least) is because to some humans, their movements seem illogical. Example: The Dark Ages-Southwest, with me playing Player 0 (Italy). All bots are Reapers, with no teaming. I make some progress in conquering Africa, when a Reaper ignores the 37 man army on their northern border to exterminate me. They then are defeated by the other Reaper, who loses to the third Reaper. I can't play off the cold war in Spain, because the Reaper in Southern Spain and (formerly) Africa cares more about my demise than his survival. That is why they scare poor little me. /cry

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Thu May 31, 2007 6:37 pm

Reaper lives to kill, especially in high cards games on classic-sized maps.

If you want to tone down the killing use low card settings, like 4-6-8 or 4-5-6.

What you describe sounds like his teaming behavior, where each Reaper does not care about his own survival. Are you sure they were not teaming?

enjoymoreradio
Lux Addict

Post by enjoymoreradio » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:36 pm

:oops:
Is teaming the default Reaper behavior? If so, than I mispoke (spelling?).

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:43 am

Yes, they team by default. You can change this by enabling the chat window (check "Allow other players to join") and typing Reaper alone

Get the teaming back with Reaper reset

Find out the teaming status with Reaper status

Scad
Lux Elder

Post by Scad » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:03 am

YES!! THANK YOU BERTRAND!!!!

I've been wishing for the longest time to be able to put Reaper back to teaming when some idiot b0ts-first-loving pacifist (yes, in the context of a war game I use pacifist as an insult) types a "Reaper alone." I have finally seen the way.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D