I'm confused... help anyone???

AI discussion, ideas, and SDK help.
newbeslaya
Slayer of Newbs

I'm confused... help anyone???

Post by newbeslaya » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:37 pm

I don't understand the whole write your own AI thing... Can anyone explain the steps :?:

thx in advance for any help :D

rip
Luxer

The steps?

Post by rip » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:05 am

Um. What sort of background do you have, vis-a-vis programming?

You need programming skills. Java skills are the most usable (the AIs are written in Java), but if you've learned to program in any OO or even procedural language, you could, in theory, figure it out.

You should have some sort of environment, either Eclipse (any) or XCode (Mac), for doing the actual work in.

We can get you to the point of compiling an AI and getting it into the game. From there, you need to be able to extend and expand the AI code to do what you want it to do.

There are several phases in a turn, they being card cashing (if required), placing reinforcement armies, attacking and then forting up. Your AI is called using specific entry points for each of these phases. It is up to your code to implement the game algorithm that your AI is going to emulate.

We need more info... we need your programming background. There are people here who have learned Java simply to write their own AIs (myself included) for Lux.

rip

Luxer

Post by guest » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:24 am

RandomGuy
Lux Veteran

Post by RandomGuy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:21 am

I think this is one of those, if you need to ask, you probably don't have the experience necessary to do it. But, it is always worth a shot - the others have good advice - start with the wiki, let us know what you know about programming, and we can go from there.

newbeslaya
Slayer of Newbs

Post by newbeslaya » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:23 pm

thx guys

umm, I don't really have much knowledge on programming, I just thought it would be interesting to learn how to use java on lux.

I read the wiki but it doesn't really give any help. I checked out the example AI's in the SKD but I'm just kinda lost on how you use the whole coding thing :?:

Luxer

Post by guest » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:02 pm

Then you need to learn to program. Creating a Lux AI is a terrible introduction to programming. Buy a book, take a course, etc.

newbeslaya
Slayer of Newbs

Post by newbeslaya » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:41 pm

I guess I should just give up... :wall:

Luxer

Post by guest » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:05 pm

Just the though of trying to explain polymorphism to someone via a forum makes me cringe.