Bot Interpretation

AI discussion, ideas, and SDK help.
n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Bot Interpretation

Post by n00less cluebie » Thu May 22, 2008 1:36 pm

OK, now this is the more difficult step than the first one.

In the Bot Learning thread we discussed what we'd like to have our Bot learn from other players actions, but how is the A/I actually going to interpret actions of the players into usable data?

This thread should probably follow the Learning thread so we can discuss how each of the things we want to learn can be interpretted, but I think the first thing we need to know is what knowledge does the Bot get from the host? As a human I can watch the game live, and see who is attacking who, with how many armies etc. Do the bots get this information, or do they simply see the state of the board at the beginning of its turn, and have no information on what happened inbetween turns?

kitty on catnip
Lux Elder

Post by kitty on catnip » Thu May 22, 2008 2:45 pm

as a side note...is it possible to constrain a bot within a certain time period. possibly use a human, of medium speed, to quantify it's own speed?

I get so irritated when bots clear the whole board in a millisecond, with it's entire turn already forced into whatever time the host has provided.

It should have a parameter of time. Human don't have all the time in the world, why should a bot?

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Thu May 22, 2008 3:13 pm

Hmmmm....I actually HAVE seen a computer run out of time. Was playing a marathon, and for some reason I left the bot somewhere with 1000 armies (I had like 10K on the only border with it) So it was the computer's turn, and his income is some few hundred....He places them all in his 1 remaining country, and then proceeds to attack me....1 army at a time.... He still had armies left when time ran out....So the computer isn't instantaneous, just really REALLY fast. Are you playing games where it's INTENTIONAL that a human shouldn't be able to finish a turn? Hmm....maybe put this on Feature Request.

What I'd like in THIS thread is to talk about how a Bot can actually interpret the information it receives from the Host into useful information.

Any bot builders, or Dustin care to weigh in here on the actual guts of the information that a bot receives?

Luxer

Re: Bot Interpretation

Post by guest » Thu May 22, 2008 5:37 pm

n00less cluebie wrote:do they simply see the state of the board at the beginning of its turn, and have no information on what happened inbetween turns?
Correct.

Saw the learning thread first. But the answer there. I've been waiting for more than a year for a change in this before I bother writing what would end up being a copy of Reaper.