A new president.... woo hoo!!!

Preserving History. Honoring Excellence.

Who will you (or would vote if you could) vote for president?

McCain
26%
Obama
51%
Independent
6%
Undecided
6%
I don't vote - don't care
5%
Kitty on Catnip
7%

Total votes: 85

Golgi
Luxologist

A new president.... woo hoo!!!

Post by Golgi » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:31 am

Well, it's pretty much a sure thing that it will be...

Obama vs. McCain!!! vs. Nader?

So who will you be voting for and why?

Who is the best candidate? (or least worst candidate?)

What are your vice-president predictions?

Is the American voting system just a farce or is there real democracy here?

The only thing for sure is that George Bush will not be our next president!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Discuss... Debate...

varoadstter
Luxer

Post by varoadstter » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:40 am

I'll be voting for McCain and holding my nose as I do. I frankly dislike both of these candidates tremendously. I fear McCain's ideas less than those of Obama.

As for VP, I see Romney as a likely choice for McCain but dearly wish it would be Fred Thomson. For Obama, I think he could take any of a number of prominent southern governers or congressmen.

As for Bush - I voted for him but agree that it will be a good thing to turn the page and move forward with the next president. I think that he's been a mixed bag - some successes and some failures. His missteps have been big ones, though, and his legacy will reflect this.

Kef
Lux Translator

Post by Kef » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:44 am

McCain seems like Bush, but worse

At least with Bush people knew they were electing a sadist asshole

Thetan
Lux Addict

Post by Thetan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:51 am

Kef wrote:McCain seems like Bush, but worse

At least with Bush people knew they were electing a sadist asshole
lol

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:00 pm

I don't think McCain will be much like Bush. Anyway, my candidate got knocked out so I'm thinking third party, unless I like someone's VP choice.

Odelay
ooodelayheehoo!

Post by Odelay » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:04 pm

I will be voting for McCain. He is not my man of choice, but we have to choose from what we are given, and I find him much more suitable than Obama.

/me shivers with the thought of Obama winning...

Kef
Lux Translator

Post by Kef » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:45 pm

One day Barack Obama was walking toward the pearly gates to heaven.

When he got there St. Peter asked him what he had done with his life on earth that made him worthy of heaven.

Obama told him that he was the first black president of the United States.

St. Peter asked, "When did you become president?" Obama replied, "About 15 minutes ago."

moe
fnnnarrrr

Post by moe » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:02 pm

Nimrod7 wrote:I don't think McCain will be much like Bush. Anyway, my candidate got knocked out so I'm thinking third party, unless I like someone's VP choice.
ross perot?

the tide
:D

Post by the tide » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:09 pm

Not funny, Kef.

Big Will E Style
RAW Dogger

Post by Big Will E Style » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:11 pm

haha I was cracking up Kef.

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:42 pm

lol@ross perot

I wonder if Kef got that joke from Hillary's campaign.

Kef
Lux Translator

Post by Kef » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:43 pm

Nope, whole other continent, remember?

I'm just making fun of the american politicians (but no need really, they do it themselves as well)

pls
Lux Eldest

Post by pls » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:28 pm

As I have in every presidential election since 1968, I'll end up voting for the least-worst candidate.

jOnNiE
Lux Hasselhoff

Re: A new president.... woo hoo!!!

Post by jOnNiE » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:03 pm

Golgi wrote: ......

The only thing for sure is that George Bush will not be our next president!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Discuss... Debate...
Not unless there is another terrorist attack in the U.S. before the election. Bush will stay President.

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:06 pm

Kef wrote:Nope, whole other continent, remember?

I'm just making fun of the american politicians (but no need really, they do it themselves as well)
Well said.

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:24 pm

Nimrod7 wrote: I'm thinking third party, unless I like someone's VP choice.
As much as I hate to admit it - I have to agree with a nimrod when it comes to this election.

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:26 pm

pls wrote:As I have in every presidential election since 1968, I'll end up voting for the least-worst candidate.
Please tell us who that was in those elections (you don't have to tell us who you are voting for now - or any of them for that matter...) i'd be curious to know....

my wife hates me
Lux Elder

Post by my wife hates me » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:05 am

I don't think McCain is as "Bush-Like" as the popular press would have us believe. However, even though my core values lean to the right, I have been upset with the GOP's direction in the last couple years. As far as Obama, my biggest fear is the company he keeps. He has absolutely no control over the comments made by anyone close to him. And though he has done a good job dismissing those around him that give him this reputation, I think it's a sign of weak character.

To be completely honest, I will probably be writing in Ron Paul's name.

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:03 am

I must agree with your concerns towards Obama. He has even said that he will not place his hand over the bible when he is inducted. I don't know about others but that kind of offends me.

I will be voting for Mccain although I would have preferred to see another republican up there I think that any VP he chooses that ran will be good. I think McCain would stand a better chance if people hadn't done everything they could to connect him to Bush.

the tide
:D

Post by the tide » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:32 am

Shockandawe wrote:He (Obama) has even said that he will not place his hand over the bible when he is inducted. I don't know about others but that kind of offends me.
I'm equally offended. This is an outright lie.
Shockandawe wrote:. I think McCain would stand a better chance if people hadn't done everything they could to connect him to Bush.
Well... hmmm
If McCain's economic and foreign policy plans were any different than that of Mr Bush maybe I could dig deep enough to find some sympathy for his plight. But since McCains policies in these areas will indeed prolong the status quo.... I... uh... don't.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

pls
Lux Eldest

Post by pls » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:08 am

Mike wrote:
pls wrote:As I have in every presidential election since 1968, I'll end up voting for the least-worst candidate.
Please tell us who that was in those elections (you don't have to tell us who you are voting for now - or any of them for that matter...) i'd be curious to know....
In no particular order ... Ford, Carter, Bush, Dole. Obviously as a registered Republican the votes are skewed towards GOP candidates. I also liked John Anderson of Illinois in '80.

Although I'm not a very political person, I did run for a township treasurer position and won in a landslide (something like 120-3), and I also worked in a gubernatorial election campaign in Kansas in '74; the behind-the-scenes manager of the campaign was also involved with some of the Watergate figures, and that scandal was just breaking during this time. (He refused to talk to ANYONE about the situation, btw.)

The point is ... I haven't missed voting in ANY election, local or national, since becoming enfranchised in 1966. That's what's really important here.

mud
n00b educator

Post by mud » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:55 pm

Shockandawe wrote:I think McCain would stand a better chance if people hadn't done everything they could to connect him to Bush.
Congressional Quarterly Study wrote:Senator John McCain has voted with President Bush 100% of the time in 2008 and 95% of the time in 2007
Of course that is only when his lazy ass bothers to show up, not take a nap and vote at all. Most Absentee Senator

Golgi
Luxologist

Post by Golgi » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:27 pm

Come on now Mud,

Give a brother a break... the dude is 71 years old!

Sheesh!!! :wink:

mud
n00b educator

Post by mud » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:34 pm

What can I say, when you get too old to drive a car at least you only endanger a small few. Driving the country........

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:57 pm

Hey - in McCain's defense, it is hard to do your current job, when you have to work so hard to get the next one... Look at all of the people competing to be the GOP nominee.... wait a minute - he already is the presumptive GOP Nominee - that lazy b*st*rd...

jOnNiE
Lux Hasselhoff

Post by jOnNiE » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:31 pm

Shockandawe wrote:I must agree with your concerns towards Obama. He has even said that he will not place his hand over the bible when he is inducted. I don't know about others but that kind of offends me.
OOOOH NO! No bible?? Holy crap! this is an outrage!

seriously, who gives a shit if he doesn't swear on the bible. That doesn't prove a damn thing either way. Separation of Church and State!

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:03 pm

pls wrote:
In no particular order ... Ford, Carter, Bush, Dole. Obviously as a registered Republican the votes are skewed towards GOP candidates. I also liked John Anderson of Illinois in '80.
Thanks for the reply - with the most experience here - perhaps you can shed some 'perspective' - do the current cover of the elections seem more 'over the top' than they have in years past?

Also - Ford? For some reason I thought he was the only person who achieved the office of President without being elected.

Black Pope
Lux Exorcist

Post by Black Pope » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:04 pm

"Separation of Church and State!" while an exciting battle cry is only speaking toward the need to keep a government from endorsing a specific religion at the cost of others.
76.5% of Americans identify themselves as Christian*. I fail to see how using the sacred text of said group is an endorsement of anything other than the general "Christian". Add to this that Muslims hold it in some regard and Jews believe the pentateuch to be holy and I think we're doin alright and nobody dies.

P.S. The Obama thing is a myth...
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/muslim.asp

*http://www.adherents.com/adh_dem.html

Goten6456
Lux Cowboy

Post by Goten6456 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:25 pm

I'll be voting for my man Obama. I don't like to consider myself a Republican or Democrat, but I don't think a Republican is gonna get it done this time around. We need a Democrat in there to balance out the negative effects the Republicans have caused (and don't sit here and tell me there aren't any, because I know I'm gonna get 8 posts telling me they didn't do anything wrong... thats just ignorance). I'm not saying Obama is going to be perfect. He is inexperienced, he does have a lot of question marks to him and he (and you honestly HAVE to put this into consideration) is at a very high risk of assassination. But, he is the lesser of two evils, so my first ever presidential vote will be for Barack Obama this fall.

Big Will E Style
RAW Dogger

Post by Big Will E Style » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:37 pm

Goten6456 wrote:I'll be voting for my man Obama. I don't like to consider myself a Republican or Democrat, but I don't think a Republican is gonna get it done this time around. We need a Democrat in there to balance out the negative effects the Republicans have caused (and don't sit here and tell me there aren't any, because I know I'm gonna get 8 posts telling me they didn't do anything wrong... thats just ignorance). I'm not saying Obama is going to be perfect. He is inexperienced, he does have a lot of question marks to him and he (and you honestly HAVE to put this into consideration) is at a very high risk of assassination. But, he is the lesser of two evils, so my first ever presidential vote will be for Barack Obama this fall.
Sounds like a democrat to me!........Feel free to stand up for your beliefs. Don't deny them! :wink: