Theme Providers Group (TPG)

Lux maps won't make themselves.
mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:25 pm

Straken99 wrote:Does anyone want to create a theme for one of my maps? People have been suggesting that I do this so why not. I would give full credit in the map description.
Hey Straken99, we've found that it works best if you (the person desiring a theme to be made) directly PM one of the volunteer theme providers in this thread. Asking a general "is anyone interested?" doesn't usually yeild a response. To PM someone simply click the little "PM" icon that appears at the bottom of that person's post
Straken99 wrote:Also, can you create themes for maps that have already been released?
Yes, you can.

JF12
Lux Newbie

Post by JF12 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:53 pm

I can't make a theme because I can't find the theme directory folder. I'm on a mac and I followed the instructions but I don't have lux in my application support folder. I know this isn't exactly what this group was made for but I figured you guys could help.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:45 pm

Hey JF12,
Make sure you're looking in the Library inside your home folder. Not the Library at the top level of your computer's hard drive.

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:12 pm

When I'm looking for the Theme folder on my Mac, I type themes in the magnifying glass and go from there.

Lupus ferox
Creator of Maps

Post by Lupus ferox » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:53 am

Straken99 wrote:Does anyone want to create a theme for one of my maps? People have been suggesting that I do this so why not. I would give full credit in the map description.

Also, can you create themes for maps that have already been released?
Both questions: yes. If you have an interesting new topic please let me know. You can add themes to existing maps, but it is in fact the wrong way round. Best thing is to make a theme and use the overground file to trace in the map editor. That way the highest accuracy can be achieved. Adding themes to existing maps is possible too, see the map by Mnemosyne. Quite wide borders have to be used in order to cover the map editor borders.

But why don't you make the theme yourself? I use Powerpoint. If you have that I can help you....

Lupus ferox
Creator of Maps

Post by Lupus ferox » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:17 am

Lupus ferox wrote:

Also, can you create themes for maps that have already been released?
Both questions: yes. If you have an interesting new topic please let me know. You can add themes to existing maps, but it is in fact the wrong way round. Best thing is to make a theme and use the overground file to trace in the map editor. That way the highest accuracy can be achieved. Adding themes to existing maps is possible too, see the map by Mnemosyne. Quite wide borders have to be used in order to cover the map editor borders.

But why don't you make the theme yourself? I use Powerpoint. If you have that I can help you....
It seems that the pm's don't work.......
Straken, I've made a theme for Hold the Gates. Where to send it to?

LF

JF12
Lux Newbie

Post by JF12 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:17 pm

I tried to search for it but nothing showed for lux. It could be that I am one the the users on this computer and not the admin. I'll check if the admin user works.

JF12
Lux Newbie

Post by JF12 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:02 pm

I got it. thanks for the help!

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:37 pm

I have made 2 maps I was wondering if anyone might want to do a theme for.

A link to see them is here:

http://www.jeremyrants.com/Announcing_j ... Fugly.html

The london map needs the connections across River Thames changed to reflect more accurate placement of important bridges.

The jesterlux map needs one connection edited. I will of course do this if anyone is interested in running with them.

And, of course, the "jesterlux" name and name of conts/areas can change no problem.

Also, here is a link to the original map:

1)
http://members.quicknet.nl/lm.broers/do ... map_en.png

2)
http://www.openskiescy.com/london-map.jpg
http://www.pro-activewestlondon.org/ima ... 7-orig.gif

In the meantime I will do some reading and try to figure it out on my own...

yi3artist
Luxer

Post by yi3artist » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:08 pm

The Lm.Broers from who this http://members.quicknet.nl/lm.broers/do ... map_en.png map originates. Do we need permission to use it?

Enokrad
Dark Spawn

Post by Enokrad » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:21 pm

a reverse image search yielded these results

very few results from the current crawled database.

the person on the site also notes that this was an idea by FIRE :)
a website that unfortunately is no longer hosted.

i feel it's safe to make you own copy of this (if you redid the map from scratch).

you can always ask lm.broers but i doubt he owns this images or actually knows the person that made it so it seems like a dead end there.

it's dustins' call

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:10 am

http://members.quicknet.nl/lm.broers/

Top says "Software and other computer stuff I made and gathered; all put here for anyone who has good use for it. "

Sounds like a release for public use to me...

Enokrad
Dark Spawn

Post by Enokrad » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:52 am

jesterme wrote:computer stuff I made and gathered;
gathered is the key word you are looking for

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:08 am

I sent an email so I hope to get some sort of response.

Also, in the map key it says "Idea: Fire" and "Design: G Boers".

So, it would appear GB did make it and as such it is usable since the website says things he made are avail.

I would think the map legend with his name on it proves he made it and not gathered it.

Thought?

Enokrad
Dark Spawn

Post by Enokrad » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:33 am

You're right,
didn't notice that.

I think it would be fine if a map maker used this to build a map from scratch (create a new theme based on that layout)

If whoever plans to use the existing theme made by him,
then it is required that they leave the map key at the top as well.

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:54 am

Leaving the key on the theme does seem fair.

Thank you for your help/comments. The link I gave showing my prelim map was there because I mapped it on my machine to see how it played. Seems cool and now I am going to try to make it legit and pretty.

Thanks again.

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:11 pm

I thought I would follow up. I got permission from the map artist to use the picture.

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:08 pm

I uploaded a map and theme files using upload form. The map and overground were successful but never received confirmation the foreground file made it. If any one here is involved in playtesting the map and the foreground image didn't make it, please let me know. I tried it twice but not sure if it made it or not.

Thanks.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:32 pm

hey jester,
your foreground didn't make it in, it's just using the default one. try uploading it again, and make sure to use the exact capitals "Classic Bizarro" when you do.

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:55 pm

Yeh, it had some problems uploading. I will send it in again but can some of you all give it a look with the foreground in and with it out and decide which looks better? I like it in some ways, hate it in others... Afraid it might 'clutter' the board a bit...

Will have to upload later this evening (Texas time)...stuck in windows world working for a while..

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:54 pm

Created a redo of a London concept map. I have finished the lux file and overground. Wondering if anyone wants to put a background with London/England theme. I can send all the files if anyone is interested. I have also put the new version on my website.

GarlandRedenbaugh
Lux Newbie

Post by GarlandRedenbaugh » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:24 pm

I can't find lux in my application folder either.

yi3artist
Luxer

Post by yi3artist » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:57 am

Hahaha! I'm browsing the forums, and find my mentioning of http://members.quicknet.nl/lm.broers/do ... map_en.png, only to look at it now and think "God, I feel like I've played that map... Did I end up making it an' forget? ...no..." Turns out someone made it and I had downloaded it and played. Didn't even cross my mind that it was the one I'd found! :lol:

mrguymiah
Lux Newbie

Re: cyber_kid

Post by mrguymiah » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:47 pm

blackj3sus wrote:i cant find cyber_kid who made r.t.w punic wars and stix in space...
i wanted to ask him if i could revamp his r.t.w punic wars map...

(i think its an example of a good map that could have gotten a way better score than it has if it had a better graphic)
Funny. I had been working all day before I found this post. :P I think it's coming out nicely and should be done soon.

Enzo1997
Lux Vacationer

Post by Enzo1997 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:13 pm

Map of bronx

looks like it could be made a map

adrianceng
Luxer

Post by adrianceng » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:08 am

[quote="Enzo1997"][url=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Q0lTtPVTG40/R ... onxMap.jpg]Map of bronx[/url]

looks like it could be made a map[/quote]

I'll take it. But it'll need a theme. Anybody?

Lupus ferox
Creator of Maps

Post by Lupus ferox » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:54 am

I can make a theme if you want.

If so, let me make the theme first before you start doing the map editor work. Any wishes on size, colors, etc? How do you want to group the territories into continents? Do you want parts of manhattan, brooklyn, Westchester county too? As active parts of the map, or just to show that the bronx isnt an island in the middle of the ocean? etc.....

*Map project continued here.

Err0r
Luxer

Post by Err0r » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:25 pm

Need somebAdy whom has the time to make a theme for a map. Not really fancy stuff.