Oh nooooo! Mods are doomed now, and also they are old.

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Oh nooooo! Mods are doomed now, and also they are old.

Post by Bean » Fri May 29, 2020 6:23 am

https://nyti.ms/2TPkAGh
""No matter the topic, there was one universal experience: On every board, some divisive issue would inevitably erupt into conflict, and an angry group of users — often led by a single, vocal one who felt they were being treated unfairly — would lead a rebellion against the “mods,” the moderators who had the privileges to delete posts, ban unruly users, and set the rules of the board.

Sometimes, the mods quelled the fight or struck a compromise, and brought the board back into harmony. Other times, the angry users broke off and started their own forum, or the board simply became so intolerable that everyone left.

That internet is long gone now. Social media apps killed the messy, unruly message boards and replaced them with slick personalized feeds. The new mods are mostly robots. And the people who make the rules — Jack Dorsey of Twitter, Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook, Susan Wojcicki of YouTube, and a handful of others — have become some of the world’s richest and most influential people, with the power to shift global politics and curate the information diets of billions.""

That internet is long gone now!?? With friends like Trump...... Yet... hmmm. /me checks his paystubs.... !!!! I don't have a job at all! WTH!

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Re: Oh nooooo! Mods are doomed now, and also they are old.

Post by Bean » Fri May 29, 2020 6:28 am

Mod drama is never really about who’s allowed to say what, or which specific posts broke which specific rules. Often, it’s part of a power struggle between chaos and order, fought by people who thrive in a lawless environment.

beetroot
is your friend

Post by beetroot » Sat May 30, 2020 5:16 pm

i disagree! /me grabs pitchfork

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty
Location: on the playground is where i spent most of my days, chillin' all nice and relaxing all cool and

Post by Red Beard » Sun May 31, 2020 11:05 pm

I also disagree! /me grabs 3 pitchforks and hops on 1 foot.